Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Sep 2012 08:07:23 BDT
Dave Pattern says:
Just a quick "heads up" that there are reports of issues with the transfer quality of some of the films in the set from those who've received early review copies from Universal.

Nick Wrigley (one of the founders of the "Masters of Cinema" label) has been posting comments at http://enthusiasm.org/

The main issues seem to be:

1) Frenzy opening credits have been re-rendered and now have at least 3 typos.

2) Frenzy, Marnie and Family Plot have had varying amounts of DNR applied to them. Too much DNR can make faces look "waxy" and creates weird digital artefacts from the film grain. More worrying is that the Blu-ray transfers appear to be of a lower quality than 2008 HDnet TV broadcasts of the films!

If you're in two minds about buying the set, you might want to wait until sites like DVDBeaver and bluray.com have posted reviews.

There's even an unconfirmed comment on the HTF site that Universal are considering delaying the set until the transfer problems can be resolved.

Posted on 15 Sep 2012 00:39:52 BDT
NGC 1300 says:
The US release of the 15-disc set has just been postponed from 25 Sept to 30 Oct.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Sep 2012 00:28:29 BDT
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection [Blu-ray] [1942][Region Free]
Universal has delayed release of the US set until flaws have been corrected.
there's been no such notice given in the UK. Does this mean UK buyers have to live with defective transfers of these important movies?

Posted on 18 Sep 2012 23:21:48 BDT
Dave Pattern says:
At the moment, Universal UK have yet to say anything, so I don't know if they're planning to fix the problems and delay the release date or not. I've heard that the German set has now been delayed, so I suspect that means it's more likely we'll also see a delay in the UK. However, until Universal UK actually say something, it's just speculation! :-S

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 13:40:38 BDT
Dave Pattern says:
The UK limited edition set has been pushed back to 5th November, so I expect this one will be too.

Posted on 19 Oct 2012 23:40:34 BDT
Bigos says:
Any news on this? I see that this was discussed back in Sept. What was the original release date? I ordered this version from the US and would be disappointed if the UK version has problems that the US version does not.

Posted on 20 Oct 2012 11:09:54 BDT
DVDBeaver.com has some reviews up and they seem to be singing the sets praises.

Posted on 28 Oct 2012 10:06:45 GMT
Dave Pattern says:
The other reviews that have appeared are less favourable :-( I think you'll find the set is a mixed bag -- some excellent transfers, and some problematic ones that could have been better.

Posted on 29 Oct 2012 15:48:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2012 17:10:36 GMT
Bigos says:
I have this UK version on order and just got an email from amazon.co.uk to let me know that the delivery date is pushed back until Nov. 12th. Maybe the problems are worse than we knew.

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 02:16:40 GMT
King-fai YAN says:
is it correct that the UK version only come with 14 discs without "North by Northwest" as compare to US version?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2012 10:29:38 GMT
Dave Pattern says:
That's correct -- only the US release contains the Warner Brothers film "North by Northwest". Apparently this is because Universal allowed Warner to include "Spartacus" (owned by Universal) in their Stanley Kubrick Blu-ray set.

Posted on 23 Nov 2012 03:12:13 GMT
Pablo says:
The movie that is in the US release of the Kubrick set is Dr. Strangelove (Columbia Pictures) and not Spartacus
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  12 Sep 2012
Latest post:  23 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about