Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

Ist step to total control of what Microsoft allows you to have on your computer??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2012 19:39:19 BDT
Anoymouse says:
I have read quite a number of for's and against this new system and even tried it. Not too keen I must say myself, especially on P.C without touch as this program has obviously been made for Phone / tablet or those rich enough to have touch screen, where I'm sure it looks rubbish but works fine (Microsoft never good on decor) What they are good at is control which brings me to the discussion I would like you to think about. Many of the more informed reviews have stated that they are concerned about this products security settings. Secure maybe, controlling definatly, as all programs I am told will, if not now but in future will have to have microsoft licence which means alternative programs to theirs will have a distinct disadvantage, indipendants will suffer and you will loose choice. There is also talk of cloud only storage in later developments which is fine so long as you trust the system and pie in the sky promises. This security has already been built into the system they actually state it in their blurb but with the rosy side up. I was very tempted by the low price but is that another ploy I wonder to get it into as many homes as possible before we actually cotton on to what their real aims are? Cyberman syndrom

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 19:44:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Oct 2012 19:47:38 BDT
John Sanders says:
I've been running Win8 64bit pre release and all I did was turn off UAC.. install a reg tweak to allow ownership of any process.. job done.. no more privacy/control concerns!
We can get paranoid here if we're not careful, I'd sooner work with a Windows setup than the control freak that is Apple Mac!

If you don't like the Microsoft way, then there is always the Linux OS, open source, quick, secure with no viruses either, so no worries in that department whatsoever!

Posted on 25 Oct 2012 20:29:46 BDT
Anoymouse says:
Firstly I would like to point out that I quite like many Microsft products, its just their practices. Pre release is one thing reallity and future development another. Have you heard about the licence foray especially within the developers forum. (Minecraft) for a simple example like it or not, the developer has stated that this and many other programs will in future be either priced out of the market or non existant with windows eight (Microsoft) as it is being deleloped now. True or not with microsofts past record of deliberatly pushing its competitors out makes one think. One would also have to consider that people like yourself who obviously know thier computers can disable these things as do hackers but what about the rest of us? This widows eight was supposed to be intuative for us unenlightened and your talking about Linux os, open source ?????? Obviously for the geeks (meant in a nice way (Knowedgable) only brigade.

(the question by the way was only brought about as food for thought)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 22:57:25 BDT
John Sanders says:
I concur wholeheartedly and for my purely selfish knowledge, as you say us techy folk can make a cocoon to ensure we stay safe.
Unlike others who don't have the insight or information to make their own decisions, which I guess makes Microsoft Corporation a daunting proposition.

With regard to Linux.. that is a free as in beer, operating system of many flavours.. this site is a gem of knowledge for the Linux distributions (as they are called)!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  25 Oct 2012
Latest post:  25 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer