Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2012 13:05:05 BDT
if i want to do a clean install of windows 8, it seems i have to start with an xp installation. Why do i have to use a 2001 operating system disc, to install a 2012 operating system? Surely windows 95 and 98 discs are obsolete, and so surely should xp discs by now?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2012 19:51:08 BDT
John Sanders says:
I have no idea what you are talking about, there is no need to install XP first, where on earth did that information come from?

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 10:52:33 BDT
Mia Adams says:
This is the upgrade version of windows 8, as a result XP, Vista or Win 7 must be installed first, therefore Andrew is correct. This is because it cannot perform a clean install, it just updates the components of the previously installed OS.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Oct 2012 11:20:15 BDT
John Sanders says:
I stand corrected, but isn't this a one time only, as, if the Win8 is installed all future Formats and reinstallations will take place over the original Win8?

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 14:37:39 BDT
Windows 7 allowed you to install itself as a trial and then you could use that Windows 7 installation as "upgrade" for upgrading Windows 7 so if you bought the Windows 7 Upgrade, simply install it without activating as "full version", reboot, reinstall as upgrade. Hopefully that will work for Windows 8 as well.

Posted on 26 Oct 2012 15:01:57 BDT
John Sanders says:
Maybe so, that's more work than I'd like, but certainly cheaper than the £100+ for a full disk..lol

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 12:19:36 GMT
Bluetc says:
You do not need the windows XP disc to use the upgrade version of windows 8, in your case choose to upgrade and follow the on-screen prompts.

If you do not have an installation but have a virgin disc (new build or new hard drive ) you CAN still use this disc as I have, but you cant do a one-off install on a virgin drive with the upgrade disc as it will not auto activate. You can however install a second time and select the same location, it will tell you that it will place the previous installation into a folder marked old, carry on and install, then once booted just delete the folder in C:\Old windows.

Posted on 1 Nov 2012 14:05:34 GMT
Mike D. says:
My understanding is that, because this is Windows Pro UPGRADE, you need to have evidence that you have previously purchased a legal copy of a previous version of Windows. You don't have to have that previous version installed on your PC, or even the have the disc itself, but you DO need to have the licence key for that previous version to prove that you are upgrading from a legit copy. The install of Windows 8 upgrade may ask you to verify it.
Having said that, I installed Win8 Pro upgrade over my previously installed Release Preview, and it just sailed through.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 12:56:14 GMT
Cuius says:
If you are ordering the upgrade using the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant it requires that "You'll need to run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on the PC you want to upgrade."

Posted on 3 Dec 2012 14:12:30 GMT
John Sanders says:
Actually I've just purchased a Windows 8 pro (ISO) download for £14.99, burned it to a disk and it just installed.. booting straight into the install environment as a "custom install" over my Windows 7 and NOT as an upgrade either!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 14:13:32 GMT
John Sanders says:
Wrong.. it installs as a custom install NOT an upgrade, just done it!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 15:36:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Dec 2012 15:37:28 GMT
Bluetc says:
To use the disc as an upgrade ( wishing to keep all previous programs installed and documents etc) you need to have a working version of windows as you run from the installer side of the disc.

To do a clean install or replace an existing version of windows you need only to boot from the disc and have a directory that had a version of windows to point it to, it will save all the old content to a folder on the C: drive called *windows old* you may delete this once you have retrieved any of the contents you need to keep, or like me if you was using the install twice as a work around to use the upgrade key just delete it as none of it was needed anyway.

The upgrade disc does NOT do a key check on the previous windows installation, think about it, you may not have had a working internet connection at the time of install lol. It does Not check to see if the previous install actually worked either. it just needs to see a valid directory.

If you try to do an install on a virgin drive (It WILL let you) you will find that it will not auto activate when it starts so you will need to the the install twice trick to creat a previous directory to install to thus making the upgrade key valid.

Posted on 3 Dec 2012 16:21:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Dec 2012 16:24:05 GMT
John Sanders says:
Sorry not correct in my case.. The disk I inserted asked for the key before it would install.

Booting up from the disk, clicking install box.. next screen is the one asking for the key!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 20:36:35 GMT
Bluetc says:
I Take it you are referring to the windows 8 key and not the previous operating systems key?, if so that is perfectly normal for any windows installation.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 20:40:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Dec 2012 20:41:11 GMT
John Sanders says:
Well that is for what was purported to be an upgrade, @ £14.99 yet the ISO I created gave me straight install from boot and didn't have to go through any upgrade process.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 20:51:57 GMT
Bluetc says:
that is normal, the disc are always the same full retail just like vista and windows 7 , the key is what ties you down to the specific version, be it upgrade or full retail.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 20:53:20 GMT
John Sanders says:
OK.. cheap upgrade to win 8 pro all the same.. thx for your input.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 21:09:52 GMT
Bluetc says:
your welcome :)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jan 2013 11:40:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jan 2013 11:40:45 GMT
Win 7 & Win 8 preview = Upgrade/ Clean install
Win Vista & Win Xp = Clean install only
Win 95 & Win 98 = Buy a new PC...

Upgrade: You keep all of your files, programs and settings
Clean: You lose everything, basically a factory reset and it will have nothing on it like the first day you bought it.

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 22:44:16 GMT
for the record, i download windows 8 and used it to upgrade a fresh xp installation. I have since wiped the drive, in order to go "back" to windows 7. I fear I have lost my £25 that windows 8 cost me, but to be quite honest, i dont miss windows 8, and i wouldnt want to use it again!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 11:52:08 GMT
Bluetc says:
As long as you have the windows Key in your email addy you will not have lost it , you are only paying for the key at the end of the day, windows 8 has taken ,me a while to get used to and can be frustrating at times but i am going to be sticking with it, i still use windows 7 on my laptop but i know for sure that i will never be going back to XP lol
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  25 Oct 2012
Latest post:  4 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions