Top critical review
48 people found this helpful
Received a copycat Arduino
on 11 October 2013
I recently found out the differences in a real Arduino, and copycat Arduinos. Unfortunately, the one I received is a copycat and not made by Arduino. I have both a genuine and now, a copycat Arduino. The differences are most certainly obvious now. Both boards work just fine, but my main problem is the fact I paid for something and hoping to get the real thing by Arduino themselves, not someone else's cheaper alternative design and still have me pay the full price.
Let me guide readers through a walk-through in the details...
The REAL Arduino features:
* A comfortably-sized fitted box, with stickers and a thank you note inside.
* Says "MADE IN ITALY" on the front and back.
* Sports a grey "502C" chip near the USB port.
* Sports the UL Component Recognition Mark, or the backwards "UR" ensuring quality components.
* The board is a lighter shade of blue than the copycat board.
* Soldered joints use less solder than the copycat board.
* Printed text is sans-serif, and is a lot more fine, and the Italy map outline is more detailed.
* The via holes are not lazily covered over with the layers atop the board.
* Wires inserted into the female headers stay firmly in place.
The COPYCAT board features:
* No box, no stickers, no thank you note. It arrived plainly wrapped up.
* Says "DESIGN IN ITALY" on the front and back.
* Sports a green resistor next to USB port, identification is weird, "5V" and same upside down, but as if the "V"s intersect. No idea.
* The board is a darker shade of blue compared to the real board.
* Uses more solder on the joints than the real board.
* Inconsistent serif/sans-serif text, varying fonts.
* The via holes are lazily covered over.
* Wires inserted into the female headers tend to come out very easily, some times as if there's no grip inside.
These are the differences I can find. The product photos shows a board "MADE IN ITALY". Yes, it still does the same thing, but it's still not genuine Arduino and I paid full price to someone else's cheaper board.