Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop now

Is someone purposely pressing 'not helpful' of reviews out of spite?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2011 10:43:02 GMT
Rossoman says:
ive noted ALOT of reviews with 0 out of 3 (or similar) 'found this review helpful'. Personally those reviews are fine so why would anyone click not helpful for those... also can someone keep pressing 'not helpful' or do they get one go for each review?

Posted on 24 Nov 2011 13:01:47 GMT
R. J. Lister says:
Each user gets one vote. I think that some people confuse the concept of "I did not find this helpful" with "I do not agree with the author", which is not the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2011 13:38:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Dec 2011 19:33:00 GMT
NeuroSplicer says:
The negative vote is a relic and I for one have been pressing for its abolition.

It serves nothing and no one. If a review is bad or biased, it will still drop to the bottom by simply not receiving any positive votes. And rank can still be determined either by the old method (in which only the positive votes counted) or by the slow aging of the votes received.

As RJ mentioned above, many people confuse it with a "do you happen to agree" question. If I do not agree with the opinions expressed in a review, I make sure to write one of my own to offer a counterargument. Then again, there is also a sad minority who has been amusing themselves systematic trolling.

If you agree that it is time for the abolition of the negative vote, please feel free to add your comment in this discussion thread I started some time ago:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/top%20reviewers/ref=cm_cr_tr_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2AH5S1CY4QEMR&cdThread=Tx2Y14990DRY4QA

Amazon needs to join the new decade and abolish the negative vote, finally.
In an era of +1s and LIKEs, the negative vote only promotes bickering and often leaves a bad aftertaste from patronizing the Amazon e-shops.

Posted on 1 Dec 2011 09:40:16 GMT
Rossoman says:
yep someone is still trolling around and giving a 'unhelpful' vote (maybe its just misunderstanding?). The funny thing is that amazon can audit almost everything and the guy dosnt know he can be tracked...:)

Posted on 27 Dec 2011 17:04:07 GMT
Son of Sam says:
It wouldnt surprise me tbh.

I barely contribute on reviews and forums here but I already noticed if I give a bad review for a film with a cult following, or say anything even remotely uncritical about Steam, suddenly Ive got "no" clicks incoming.

But yeah I agree with your sentiment... I cant see the point of the current voting system, and secondly I can totally believe that there is some angry troll in a basement somewhere venting his spleen by clicking "no" wherever he goes.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 14:14:26 GMT
John Smith says:
purposefully

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 18:47:27 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 10 Jan 2012 18:51:45 GMT]

Posted on 4 May 2012 13:39:01 BDT
DKL says:
There are people who, in spite, vote "unhelpful" because they don't like your opinions. Looking at my own reviews they have even left spiteful comments because I dare to critizise their reviews.

I agree with the NeuroSplicer, the unhelpful vote has to be removed and Amazon should work harder to remove the non-reviews when they've been flagged by other users for removal.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  24 Nov 2011
Latest post:  4 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC DVD) by Bethesda (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
4.4 out of 5 stars (576)