Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Learn more Fitbit
Customer Discussions > Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) forum

should a 12 yearold kid be alloud to play?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Mar 2008, 14:57:42 GMT
i think they should!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2008, 11:21:55 GMT
Twinlock says:
No never, its people that allow children under the rating that have caused manhunt to be nearley banned, and the press to go in to such a rant about games. Dont ruin it for the rest of us be a responsable parent and tell children they need to wait.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2008, 20:15:39 GMT
That's funny, because if i bet you were a 12 year old you'd be begging to play GTA5 , just because maybe your old enough to play it you take advantage. But you have a point, i watched this program where a 13 year old was playing gta san andreas and then what did he do?
Take his dad's rifle and shoot 3 people whilst driving on a motorway. But this is very rare, and the kid was obviously mental in the head already. I'm 14 and have got Gta , It hasn't effected me atall though.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2008, 20:32:52 GMT
C. Brown says:
I've been playing GTA since I was about 10. Out of all the people I know, I am probably the most pacifistic.

I think these children who do the shootings etc. are already into violence (hence the need to play GTA) so will do it anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2008, 14:19:01 GMT
Gav says:
I'm 19 now but I've been playing GTA games since they first came out. Can't remember how old I must have been, around 11 I guess. It all depends on the child. As a parent if you know your child is sensable then violent games won't have any effect on them at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2008, 16:50:05 GMT
Twinlock says:
Ok i understand that you played GTA when you where young, I played GTA (1) when I was a kid but a- it was not rated and b - games where not the same then, I have always played 'violent games' but the difference is they where not like they are now. At 12 I ddnt know the word motherf****r existed and now i have 10 year olds shouting at me in the street, and just because most kids will not be effected by what they see does not mean that all are the same.

In no way do I want games to be censored but chidren should not play these things, yes you have to have mental llness to shoot anyone but its not just that, for me mainly they should not be allowed to play them as its illegal, and while they play illegal games it gives the press more cannon fodder to come back and call for these games to be banned, and I realy dont want that to happen.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008, 11:58:17 GMT
Thomas F says:
certificates are there for a reason. Should kids be allowed to watch slasher flicks? What is responsible parenting?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008, 12:26:22 GMT
i think its rediculous to blame games for the actions people take, no one is really that stupid that they would play a game and then think killing i fine, ive been watchin 18s and playin 18s since i can remember ive had every gta from 1 to san andreas enjoyed them all pre orderd the next one and this will be the first ive had at the legal age.. still iv not stolen a car or blown a boat up though...

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008, 14:07:44 GMT
J. T. Holmes says:
No, they should sit at home and learn to spell 'allowed'....

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008, 14:25:56 GMT
andyt says:
Only if it can be proven that they're mature - perhaps by seeing if they can even spell "allowed"...

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008, 14:28:01 GMT
andyt says:
"ridiculous". Sheesh, can't people spell these days? Perhaps if they didn't spend so much time playing games they might reach a reasonable level of basic education.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008, 22:01:26 GMT
C. D. Jones says:
It has actually been proven that by playing games children are more likely to do better at school. Just thought I would say that :P.

Also it depends on the parents and the child if the child should be allowed the game.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2008, 20:24:23 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2008, 09:21:55 BST
S. E. Cook says:
I agree. This theory is produced by the "PC" brigade which the UK has many of now, many in government! A bunch of pyscho babble rubbish. Tom and Jerry was very violent but I have never dropped a piano on someone! Also remember the Sweeny and the proffesionals loads of gun violence and aggresive crime but I didnt go out and kill anyone! Im afraid we are all victims of the Labour "Nanny State" where they tell us what we can or cant watch or play, even us adults!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2008, 16:58:28 BST
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2008, 16:58:51 BST
All right i can spell small mistake im in top math, top english, and ofton get highest score in the class at many subjcts.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2008, 19:26:36 BST
and we care about your scores in school because..
does that mean you your self are 12 years old?
i do not think they should play them. i did, and im fine.. honest.. eyes twitch.
but seriously, if you play these sort of games and act like a fool because of it, then yes, ban them. if you can play them and not act like a fool, carry on. i hate this debate on banning games because some stupid jerk took a gun from their parents room and wen ton a rampage. thats not games, thats bad parenting! the whole manhunt 2 saga really annoyed me, it was petty mothers, with nothing better to do, than moan and talk boll**s

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2008, 20:58:32 BST
there is no concrete scientific or psychological proof that video games cause people to become violent... it's just really down to you thinking if it's suitable...

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2008, 11:47:01 BST
No! Get back to your Pokemon.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2008, 11:48:29 BST
Actually, forget about the Pokemon, try some good old English language classes at school.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2008, 23:07:11 BST
Bradley says:
All very petty...but please...if your going to big yourself up to be the bright spark of your class...spell "often" correctly?? Geshhh...the future is bright if your top

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Apr 2008, 13:16:54 BST
Last edited by the author on 4 Apr 2008, 13:25:13 BST
Will says:
Twinlock - "I played GTA (1) when I was a kid but a- it was not rated and b - games where not the same then...."

Um, GTA1 was an 18 cert (http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/8E572F37F25E6D1C8025660B003BC6D7?OpenDocument). I can remember buying it as soon as it came out because the gutter-press were kicking off about it and I thought it might get banned.

Regardless of whether parents allow their kids to play 18 cert games or watch 18 cert films (which tbh cannot be realistically policed in the privacy of their own home), I think the most important thing is that ignorance concerning games content is eradicated.

There still seem to be broad sections of our society who believe that if it's a 'computer game' it must be for kids. This is a real problem as it leads to a situation where products that are clearly designed for adults are being supressed because they are not suitable for children!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Apr 2008, 15:35:26 BST
lmao, "the future is bright if your top"
If you're going to be critical of someone else's spelling, at least make an effort to proof-read your own writing...
"you're top"
not... "your top"

Getting back to the OP...
I think it's up to the parents to know whether the kid would be vulnerable to the game. But the problem is that the parents don't usually base their decision on an evaluation of their children, they base it on a political position of whether young children 'should' be able to play violent games in general.

But if a 10 year old kid has the habit of repeating what he sees and is generally quite rebellious, it's reasonable for a parent to be reluctant to let him/her play GTA. There's loads of swearing and bad attitude that a young kid might be influenced by. I wasn't really the type of kid to talk back to my parents and I was scared to use bad words in front of my parents, so when I played GTA 3 when it came out (I must have been about 12 I think... I'm 19 now) I doubt it had any effect on me.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2008, 00:12:15 BST
Last edited by the author on 6 Apr 2008, 00:15:26 BST
KMart says:
I don't think that GTA games have ever had any impact on me, in terms of going out and committing crimes... I played GTA3 when I was about 13/14 maybe (now 18!) and I suppose I was just sensible enough to understand that the game is set in a fantasy world without morals & consequences, as opposed to the real world...

I strongly believe that most kids who go out and commit a violent crime, only to have the crime blamed on the game, are violent beforehand, or have some sort of mental handicap. However, I can see how it may influence some young children, and that is why it's strictly down to the parents to make sure these games don't get into the hands of the underage. The "18" certificate is there for a reason.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2008, 00:15:37 BST
CrazyPaulo says:
If you were old enough to play GTA, you'd also be old enough to understand why under eighteens shouldn't play it. The game has constant adult themes and is rated as such. If parents are letting minors play this, they are not only irresponsible, but they are breaking the law. I can't for one minute imagine that this game is going to cause a kid to gun down a street full of people, but I can imagine kids imitating the language in the game, which is enough of a reason to rate it 18 on its own.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Apr 2008, 10:21:35 BST
Parents need to take the responsibility and decision. If they allow their children to play 18 certificate games and they are under that they are the best people to make that decission. Lets get real, sex at 16, mopeds at 16 and cars at 17, yet they still can't play a computer game, doesn't quite sit right with me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  54
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  25 Mar 2008
Latest post:  22 Apr 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) by Rockstar (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars (412)