Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Nov 2010 19:11:58 GMT
F. Brown says:
£9.99 for hardback, £12.99 for ebook is a rip off.
Penguin was started on the principle of "Intelligent books at a low price" - they've strayed a long way from that.
Tell them what you think - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/penguinbooks?v=wall

and join the campaign against rip off pricing
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_120874701306875&ref=notif¬if_t=group_activity

Posted on 10 Nov 2010 19:28:20 GMT
J. H says:
Its not a rip off, you don't have to buy it........

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Nov 2010 22:56:10 GMT
@ j.h True comment but a truer comment would be that penguin don't have to fix the price of e-books .

Price fixing is illegal !

Posted on 6 Dec 2010 00:39:44 GMT
Mark says:
It's bad enough that we have to pay VAT on ebooks soon to be 20%, but to price the books higher than the paper originals is just crazy.

I refuse to pay the silly prices I will wait until the prices come down.

I have noticed that Amazon states that the price has been set by the publisher, it would be nice if there was a link to the publisher so we could send them a message every time we decided not to buy the kindle addition due to the silly price. There is nothing better than getting a "sale lost" message from potential customers.

What do you think?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Dec 2010 13:21:14 GMT
S. Fahy says:
I totally agree with Mark, but I also think Amazon should press the publishers on this point.

My wife fancied one of the Kindle readers for Xmas, but when we looked at the prices of the books and found that nearly every book she wanted was pounds more expensive as ebooks, she changed her mind. A big sale lost by Amazon!

Posted on 25 Dec 2010 22:28:18 GMT
Yes, agree, the publishers are taking the proverbial pricing e-books higher than paper versions. I will NOT be buying a Kindle nor e-books until there is a realistic price differential in favour of e-books.

Posted on 27 Dec 2010 12:13:29 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 27 Dec 2010 12:14:13 GMT]

Posted on 27 Dec 2010 12:18:04 GMT
I was interested in getting a kindle, but the prices are crazy. Surely an e-book should be significantly cheaper than a paper book as there are no printing costs?
The publishers would be making a killing on e-books if they set reasonable prices.

Posted on 29 Dec 2010 21:19:33 GMT
I think that when the publisher fixes the price of a book (in any format) it makes a statement about the value of that book. If the publisher is happy for a hardback book to sell for 9.99 and a paperback for 7.99 it suggests that the kindle version should be a little less, certainly much less than 12.99. It makes me wonder what he is afraid of that he seeks to punish kindle owners so heavily. I can't think how purchasing and reading the book on a Kindle can threaten his business can you? The market is clearly not operating freely in some cases so I will avoid such overpriced books and select from the many which are sensibly priced.

Posted on 30 Dec 2010 13:31:15 GMT
I have just been given a Kindle for Christmas, and, initially, I was thrilled. I thought of all the obvious advantages - lightweight, easy to download books, saving the environment through printing less books, saving clutter at home, etc and then woke up to the fact that it is so expensive to download books that I used to buy from charity shops or second hand, but in print. I agree with everyone before me that it is ridiculous to be singled out (or kindled out) for higher pricing. Why when buying electronically is so much cheaper and easier for everyone concerned? Publishers, wake up. This is the future. Get used to it and get real with your pricing. Libraries are being closed, charity shops are pricing books higher - do you want us to read, or not???!!!

Posted on 18 Jan 2011 11:37:13 GMT
Carters R. says:
If a publisher has thousands of books in print waiting to be sold they don't want sales of ebooks, their money is tied up in print. I imagine that any new writers they take on will have contracts to include publication by ebooks but for existing contracts they may well be in a position where the writer and Amazon get the larger share of the profits and they're stuck with books in print. Which would be why they discourage these sales. Where's the future for publishing if ebooks take off?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2011 14:23:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2011 14:30:31 GMT
Why aren't all e-book versions dearer then? Mostly the dearest are hard-back, followed by paperback followed by e-book. CD based audio books seem to sit somewhere towards the upper end but downloadeable audio books are cheaper. That's logical I think. The fact that there are so many books available free for kindle gives you an insight as to what the costs of making it available are No-one would expect printed version o be available free other than in strictly limited quantities. There are a few stand-out cases where the e-book is the most expensive - that isn't logical. I think that if e-books take off (have they already?) the publishers will not print so many paper versions and will enjoy the higher profit margin and the increased sales because the e-books are not so easily sold on or lent.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2011 14:09:01 GMT
Brilliant idea, Mark - I'd happily let the publishers know what I think when they do this and let them know they've lost a sale (in principle I won't buy the hardcover/paperback edition either, or if I do it'll be second-hand).

Posted on 2 Feb 2011 18:21:48 GMT
H&L Global says:
http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/competition-act-and-cartels/ca98-current/e-books/

The office of fair trading are investigating.... let them know your thoughts !

Posted on 2 Apr 2011 13:50:26 BDT
£12.99 for an e-book! Do you know what it costs to publish an e-book? NOTHING! NADA! ZILCH! How DARE they? Anyone buying this must need their head's testing. Making you all look complete fools! Disgrace.

Nothing against MM, love him, but seriously?
Sugar & Spice: The ground-breaking debut crime thriller

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2011 10:37:43 BDT
semore says:
I think you are right as I noticed the Help was being sold cheaper as a hardback. Did I get a response of Amazon oh no, but we are customers!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2011 15:23:26 BDT
K. WHITE says:
Sorry, where do you get £12.99 for this e-book. It is £0.69 and has been for some time.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2011 15:34:29 BDT
Mark says:
Please post a link to the book priced at 69p.

On Amazon it's £3.99 for the kindle edition. Life and Laughing: My Story

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2011 16:33:32 BDT
@K. White - also if you look at the posting dates on this thread you will see that the £12.99 references were back in April - the price has finally reduced a bit since then.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  15
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  10 Nov 2010
Latest post:  22 Jul 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Life and Laughing: My Story
Life and Laughing: My Story by Michael McIntyre (Paperback - 14 Oct. 2010)
4.7 out of 5 stars (726)