Top positive review
Works well with my android despite not a Fitbit "supported device"
29 August 2018
So, I've waited a few weeks to post my review of the Fitbit Versa as I wanted to give it a fair chance before doing so.
Before buying, I had a few concerns about the watch from previous reviews the main ones being battery life (some people reporting this disappeared after using in the pool), compatibility with my Android phone and ease of changing straps. Although some people are bothered by the GPS being linked to your phone, that doesn't bother me as I don't use the watch for things like running.
Addressing those three concerns first, I needn't have worried:
1. I swam in the watch at Center Parcs recently. Not only did it work perfectly in and out of the water with no adverse impact afterwards but it also worked perfectly at picking up that I was swimming to monitor my activity which is great.
2. I have an LG G6. None of the LG's are listed by Fitbit as supported devices but I took the plunge regardless. I've had no problem syncing the two at all. The notifications that I want to come through do so perfectly and I've had no issues whatsoever with the two working together. I wouldn't let this put you off buying.
3. I bought the lavender special edition watch when it was on special offer for the same price as the regular watch. I therefore have 2 straps (one lavender and one black rubber) and have changed them a few times. I haven't had a problem at all changing these around. Yes it's a little fiddly but that's going to be the case on any smart watch simply due to the size of the connectors.
The things I like best about the Versa are:
1. Heart rate monitoring seems to be streets ahead of my old Charge HR which was a little iffy.
2. It's comfortable. Like I say, I had a Charge HR before this and I had to stop wearing that because the rubberised strap kept rubbing on my skin and making it really sore. I've not had that problem at all with the Versa in either strap and the only time I'm not wearing it is in the shower (that's when I charge it!).
3. Sleep monitoring. I love the fact that you get more in depth sleep monitoring with the Versa, telling you the time you spend in each sleep stage etc.
4. Automatic exercise recognition. The fact that the Versa will automatically detect when you are working out is a great help. On my old Fitbit, if I forgot to press the start button when I got to the gym, it was a real pain trying to work out my exercise zones etc. with this - I know that this will start automatically for me which is a real help.
Things that I would like to see improved on the Versa:
1. I would love to see a Spotify app added. Even if this was just a control linked to your phone to be able to skip tracks etc. on the go it would be great. I don't know many people who use Deezer or many who would want to make the switch after setting up playlists etc. on spotify. I think Fitbit may be missing a trick here.
2. Sleep monitoring. Although I am happy with the monitoring on the whole, the older Fitbit's will recognise when you sleep whether it's a short nap or overnight. With the Versa, it will only recognise your sleep if it's over 3 hours so you lose that ability to monitor your sleep if you have a short nap. It's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have that information.
3. Period tracker. The Versa has it's own period tracker built into it which is great but again seems to overlook the fact that other apps are available and that people may have already built up a history elsewhere that they don't want to loose. Integration with apps such as Clue for this would be great.
Overall, whilst there are a couple of small points that could be improved, I am really happy with my purchase and would encourage anyone thinking of buying a Versa to get one.