Top positive review
Great size. The new standard for professionals.
21 December 2017
Prior to buying, I was um-ing and ah-ing. I was sceptical that the 13" would be the right size. I was adamant that I needed a 15". However after taking the plunge I'm glad I got the 13". It's the perfect size for my needs.
When I'm doing some serious work such as using Vivado/Altium I just connect my laptop up to a dock with dual monitors. However, even without such a setup, it is comfortable using those applications with the laptop as is. (Be wary of resolution/icons scaling)
The good stuff
1. The build quality is exceptional.
2. The hinge is very sturdy and supports the monitor/tablet very well.
3. The laptop keyboard is great. The keys have the right level of resistance. They make a nice sound when touched. I've yet to do any editing in vim, however, I foresee no problem with the proximity of all the keys. I normally do all that type of editing with my ms ergo sculpt. - Additional editorial - The resolution makes gvim icons tiny & the font is by default to small, however, this can all be fixed by
set guifont=Inconsolata\ 12
set guifont=Menlo\ Regular:h14
4. The amount of sound the tablet speakers generate is impressive.
5. The thermal properties are great. Old laptops generate heat on the users' lap, whereas this is more like your own warmth is being reflected back.
In short from an engineering point of view this is a masterpiece.
The bad stuff
1. I believe some features are locked out unless using an actual surface pen...which i'm still waiting for it to be delivered. I thought gliding my finger across the screen would work, but alas.
2. The up down keys are a bit small and my big western hands would have preferred a normal sized key.