Top positive review
A good Sugababes album
30 May 2016
This a good Sugababes album. I would very much have preferred it if Amelle had re-recorded the entire album and replaced Mutya's vocals. It just feels like a bit of a lazy effort to re-release an album with re-recorded vocals and end up leaving the majority of the songs intact.
1. Push the Button - 8/10 - I didn't really like this song on first listen but it has since grown on me. Keisha's parts throughout the song are great.
2. Gotta Be You - 8/10 - This is the first of four tracks with Amelle's vocals. It is a very interesting Crunk&B track, with some shouting in the chorus. Amelle sounds very good in her lower register throughout the chorus. Heidi's ad-libs around the second chorus are divine.
3. Follow Me Home - 6/10 - I would have much preferred this as just an album track, and not a single. It starts off too slowly for my liking and lumbers through the verses. The only bit I like is the final chorus, with Keisha's ad-libs all over it.
4. Joy Division - 4/10 - This is a reggae-infused track. I find Heidi's delivery on her verse interesting - not good or bad, just interesting. I'm not particularly fond of the vocals on the track - Keisha's high-pitched pre-chorus is a no for me. The chorus is okay, but unremarkable.
5. Red Dress - 8/10 - This is the second track with Amelle. She sounds brilliant leading the chorus. The overall track is a rather feisty one, with the ladies declaring how they don't need the red dress to snag their man.
6. Ugly - 8/10 - This is one of my favourite songs on the album. It has a very positive message on dealing with jealousy and general meanness from people. The version on here is that with Amelle's re-recorded vocals, and she sounds great on the ad-libs. Heidi's middle-8 is brilliant as well.
7. It Ain't Easy - 7/10 - The is a very good track with an interesting beat and overall production. Mutya sounds really good on her parts in the verses.
8. Bruised - 8/10 - Mutya sounds really good on both verses (which are different in their structure), and in the closing parts. Heidi's middle-8 is very good. The chorus is really nice as well.
9. Obsession - 7/10 - Another good album track. Heidi's pre-chorus sounds great.
10. Ace Reject - 10/10 - This is my favourite song on the album. It is a great track, with a very interesting structure. Neither verse sounds alike. I recently heard the radio version of the track for the first time, and it does not do justice to the brilliance of the album track. I heard this was meant to be a single - it would have been great. All three ladies sound nice, especially Heidi who sounds angelic on her verse. The change in the production on all three ladies' parts is really nice. Kudos to Xenomania here.
11. Better - 5/10 - Another song with a positive self-help message. It is not very remarkable vocally and production-wise, though.
12. 2 Hearts - 8/10 - This is a very relaxed track. Heidi and Mutya shine during the verses. The violin solo in the final minute of the track is magical.
13. Now You're Gone - 8/10 - Amelle resurfaces on this track. It is a very nice closing track, although I wish "2 Hearts" had retained its original closing spot. Heidi again sounds angelic on the verses. Keisha sounds good leading the chorus and on the ad-libs, as does Amelle on the middle-8.