5.0 out of 5 stars Motorola Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse - used with Xoom..., 21 April 2012
This review is from: Motorola Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse (Accessory)
Have to say I am very pleased with the Motorola Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse set that I bought to use with my Motorola Xoom and although a little expensive compared to other products, this does feel like a high quality product.

Although the product box mentions its use with the Motorola Atrix, this set works perfectly well with my wifi only Xoom and both mouse and keyboard paried straight away - in fact the only downside is that the "messenger" key on the keyboard does not seem to do anything, but reading the small booklet that came with the keyboard, it appears that some of the extra keys are device dependant - my Xoom being wifi only does not have messenger anyway!

I have read reports on other online websites that criticise the fact that there is no "pound" sign (for British currency), but the packaging clearly states that this is a product for the UK market, and so without further ado, (except for pressing Shift-3), here is the £ sign in all its glory >:*)

The keyboard itself is very high quality and the full sized keys are spaced just right so that my chubby fingers dont keep hitting everything at once, the key response is also very good, feels just right when typing, and text appears instantly on the Xoom`s screen when typing

If there is one very MINOR criticism, its with the mouse - again the feel is very high quality, paired instantly and is great to use (although I prefer to use graphics tablets on my "proper" computers), but its with movement detection. The movement is very smooth and responsive, in fact a little too responsive at times for me, and looking through the settings menus, I cannot seem to find a way of adjusting the mouse speed. Nor for that matter, can I seem to find a way of changing the default pointer icon, which is quite small on screen, (same height as the clock digits on the status bar), is black in colour but has a blue halo effect - ok for use on lighter screens, but can be a pain on darker app screens, or even the default Xoom backdrop screen >:*(

However, the mouse is great for browsing and one thing I`ve learnt, is that the right button does not seem to do anything, well, it does, but just acts the same as the left button on the Xoom - have not tried paired with a PC so assume everything would be normal in use there. When web browsing I like to "open page in new tab" but the trick is to left click and hold for the menu screen to appear and then make the selection.

But where the mouse really does excel, is when editing text. It is so much easier to point and click to highlight text, or clicking between letters to correct any spelling mistakes, much less frustrating than trying to highlight something with your chubby fingers to cut, copy or paste.

All in all, a little expensive, but you will be getting a quality product that I highly recommend if you are the lucky owner of a Motorola Xoom tablet.

PS, this review was written using my new keyboard, with the assistance of the mouse and think youll find is quite good (save for any spelling or grammar mistakes I might have missed!).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jul 2012 20:45:08 BDT
This is a great review and just the sort of thing that Amazon needs! You have made my mind up and I am now going to buy this product for my Xoom, going by your detailed review!
Thank-you!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2012 00:18:56 BDT
Paul Jones says:
thank you for your kind comments - I hope you have the same great experiences that I have had with my keyboard and mouse.

I felt I had to write such a review as there was limited info out there from other users so hope it helps others

as an edit, the mouse speed can be altered, and can be found in the LANGUAGE & INPUT menu of the Xoom

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 20:54:17 BDT
Prem says:
Thanks Paul for great description and informative content. Could you also tell me if the keyboard fits into the case easily or do you use and carry it separately? I bought the genuine folio case but not sure if this is the one which is shown as recommended?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2012 23:28:39 BDT
Paul Jones says:
Hello Prem,
sorry, but I dont have a folio case for my Xoom, (which is fitted with a gel back cover), and instead use a Tucano tablet case which is a bit larger than the Xoom, but holds the tablet, the keyboard, and cables and mouse etc in a separate pouch at the back.

Just FYI tho, the keyboard is 298 x 137 x 23mm in size - 298mm is the same length as a sheet of A4 paper just to give you some idea of its size.

Not sure if the folio case accepts the keyboard Im afraid as Ive never seen one in the flesh.

Hope this helps tho

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Oct 2012 14:52:41 BDT
Prem says:
Thanks Paul, I'll order this anyway as I need it, its so handy and useful. I might have to carry it but that should be okay!:)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›