on 30 January 2005
While only having had this album a few days, I'm already blown away- Low haven't really made a bad-record, but here they push on & advance on prior work (the album with Steve Fisk as producer & the more overtly rifftastic 'Canada'-single seem to me the key precursors)- co-producer/recorder Dave Fridmann (Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Mogwai)takes them to other levels.
It's all great thus far - highlights include 'Cue the Strings' which starts off as David Sylvian's 'Blemish' colliding with 'Unchained Melody' prior to a gorgeous, whoozy keyboard-swirl- which sounds like The Flaming Lips covering something from 'Loveless.' It's all great though - the epic 'Broadway (So Many People)', the sequel/has to be single 'California', the MBV-dronerock of 'Everybody's Song', the 'Metal Machine Music/Arc'-style songwriting of 'When I Go Deaf' & the opening 'Monkey'- which sounds like Low covering Radiohead's 'There, There.'
There are nods to politics/the terror-zeitgeist here - the title 'The Great Destroyer' possibly alludes to the current U.S. President & song-titles like 'Just Stand Back', 'Monkey' & 'Death of a Salesman' Low are anything but palatial-self-obsessed mormon-minimalists!
Oh, 'Just Stand Back' - it's my favourite song at the moment & one that should appeal beyond their lo-fi/math-rock/post-rock-fanbase (it would be great if the Green Day, Weezer etc set listened to this). Sometimes I want Mimi Parker to sing more in Low- but on this album I plump more for Alan on lead and Mimi in the background. Oh, 'On the Edge of'- it's my favourite song at the moment/oh, 'Everbody's Song' - it's my favourite song at the moment/oh, 'When I Go Deaf'- it's my favourite song at the moment [...get the message?]
'The Great Destroyer' already blows my mind & I wonder how I could function without it- & I've only had it a few days! Definitely a highlight of 2005 and my favourite Low-record since 'Secret Name.'
What's this?