on 17 October 2005
There is another record from our hero Mr. Cale. This album is odd and I have yet to find in it an album I love. There are, however, some moments that truly astound. Mailman is a wonderful example of how to structure a song. Great backing vocals and a set of lyrics that seem at once abstract and familiar. Hush is an overtly simple thing of beauty.
Here's the deal, I guess - If you insist (as I do) in buying John Cale records, you're always going to be surprised, annoyed and confused. You're also going to own some of the finest records recorded. Art is never simple. I guess I prefer the John Cale that provides us with beguilling string sections and atonal piano in the middle of strange pop songs. That doesn't happen here - much. This is a not influenced by LaMonte Young / John Cage. I recommend this record, but I recommend you get HoboSapiens first.
0Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?