on 27 December 2012
I've been running a NAS server with 6 x 1tb green drives and I've been quite pleased with both performance and energy efficiency of these drives.

I'm now in the process of building a second array of drives for backup purposes, but wanted extra assurance over the reliability and these seemed to tick the boxes, well mine, being:

PERFORMANCE : Slight performance increase over green drive (very slight)
EFFICIENCY : Similar energy efficiency as the green drives
WARRANTY : three year warranty (most important factor; the extra year over the green)

Western Digital, are absolutely brilliant with their warranty service and replace failed drives within a couple of weeks with new drives labelled as re-certified. I've done this for both my business and personal drives and can say the customer service alone is brilliant!

I've had dealings with the Samsung warranty service and was so appalled I vowed never to own another Samsung again! On multiple occasions they sent me a second hand drives back with uncorrectable sectors to replace failed drives! So failed for failing!

BUYING :

I haven't got much else to add to what hasn't been mentioned already, other than to make sure you pick your seller carefully if it isn't Amazon. Fulfilled by Amazon isn't enough.

My drives arrived in separate deliveries and each time they were all inadequately packaged. I don't believe that simply placing the drive in a thin coating of bubble wrap is enough (single layer). The other drives came in their own boxes but again a thin coating of bubble wrap and absolutely no air between the outer box and drive (other than what was in the bubbles!).

I've always received drives in the proper hard drive cardboard boxes with plastic inserts.

!!WARRANTY ISSUES WITH QUANTUM WIRELESS DRIVES!!

Amazon were great regarding my complaint over the inadequate packaging but as a precautionary check, in-case I had to warranty any of them, I discovered the drives aren't even registered as European; therefore potentially not warranted!

This has happened to me before and it takes a couple of weeks to fix; exchanging receipts with Western Digital, it's just rare and extremely annoying and shouldn't happen with UK drives.

You can check the warranty status at any point in time by simply entering in your drives serial number.

[...]
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.