on 20 August 2012
I bought this for use in a 1st floor study. I wanted to be able to use a variety of sources (DAB radio, CD and MP3 player). Personally, I don't use an iPod but I have borrowed one to test and it seems to work well. The system is compact, and looks smart and suitably understated. The sound quality is more than acceptable and the sound output is fine for anything less than a party (I am listening to Radio 4 at level 8 and it goes up to level 32!). Since there is an On/Off timer facility, one could use it as an alarm clock; there is also a "sleep timer". You can download a manual from Goodmans to learn more - (Google Micro1470DABi IB.pdf).

I have three (possibly negative) observations which cause me reluctantly to mark it down to just 4 stars:

The DAB doesn't seem great at picking up a signal and you appear not to be able to fit an external DAB antenna. This isn't a problem to me but might be an issue if you live in an area where you have poor DAB reception.

When I bought this, I also bought a 1m 3.5mm Jack Cable - Premium Quality / 24k Gold Plated / Audio / Stereo / Male to Male to allow me to connect up an MP3 player. If you leave the jack cable plugged into the "Line In" socket on the Goodmans system but not into anything at the other end with Aux-In selected, you get a distinct hum, a bit like a ground (earth) loop. I have tried three different jack cables and the fault is not with the cable. Again, not a serious problem but a bit surprising.

The volume control is a rotary knob which you twist anti-clockwise to reduce the volume and clockwise to increase it. what is not immediately apparent is that you twist the knob about 30° against a stop and then have to twist it a bit further, against a spring to effect the change (up or down) - this isn't a problem, just slightly confusing.

All in all, very good value and perfect if you don't have a weak DAB signal. I did consider much more expensive devices (e.g. the £220 Roberts Sound 100) but wasn't convinced that the extra cost was justified.

WOULD BUY AGAIN!