on 19 August 2005
I absolutely loved this book. Once I started reading it, I found myself hoping for the day to end so I could continue reading about the loveable hero Fandorin. I enjoyed this book hugely, and the decidedly surprising ending only made it better. I have just ordered Murder On The Leviathan and Turkish Gambit, and cannot wait to start reading them!!
This book is written in a beautiful style, and credit to the translator, Andrew Bromfield for such a gorgeous translation. Akunin makes use of traditional plot turns and red herrings, only to completely pull the rug from under our feet with the conclusion of the mystery. The Winter Queen is also very funny, and the humour fits in nicely, creating affection for Fandorin and increasing our interest in him and the solution to what seems like a cut and dry suicide case.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime fiction, and indeed anyone who appreciates truly wonderful writing. Even if you don't normally like crime fiction, give this a try, it will blow you away.
0Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?