Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 5 November 2011
Like nearly every other sufferer, panic struck and I had no clue why. I am 21, was about to return for my final year at university after a long summer off and was generally feeling good about my life. Good family, good friends, everything was fine. I was however already on the drug prozac, which I blamed for masked happiness. The drug also had side effects of anxiety and in rare cases, panic attacks.

I developed a fear of medication, or any thing that would mess with my already messed up brain. Im sure other panic sufferers will understand what I mean when I say that you want to be in the most normal state of mind when it strikes. I was terrified to even go out drinking with my friends. I stopped drinking coffee, I stopped everything that made me happy. I felt so trapped because I wanted to deal with it naturally, but at the same time the effects were so utterly horrible I just wanted it to go away. Panic physically drains your life and your mind, and the doom that overtakes all happiness you ever had is just so unfair. I didn't want to let anyone down and knowing I had to deal with this before university started again was added pressure.

I was lucky enough to have an extremely supportive Dad who had beaten panic attacks and as much as I tried to listen to his words, and although they helped, I needed more.

This book is amazing. I read it in two days because I just could not put it down. I thought the mention or thought of panic would inevitably spark one but that is not true. I truely believe that if you know every in and out of what is actually happening to your body when a panic attack occurs, you are half way there. This book gives you every possible understanding you could ever need. I think the turning point for me, was reading that panic attacks were merely an accidental triggering of the body's fear reaction - designed to protect you in dangerous situations. So why would a bodily mechanism designed to protect you, kill you?

Of course, I am not saying everyone should remember this and be cured instantly. The severity and effects of attacks vary depending on person - but this book covers every possible effect, every possible trigger. It is cognitive behavioural therapy - just without a person telling you what you should do. I advise any one that feels lost, alone, terrified, horrible and completely worn out to get this book. You will NOT regret it.

I am not there yet, but i'm well on my way. I only wish I could meet the author to give him the biggest hug ever. If he only knew how many people he had helped and provided a light at the darkest hour.
27 people found this helpful