1.0 out of 5 stars Be very careful, advert is misleading and for new, its cheaper from Apple., 3 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Apple Iphone 4s 16GB White Sim Free (Wireless Phone Accessory)
OK, so the phone itself is probably brilliant, but and there is a big but, the advert is misleading. I bought one of these as a Christmas present for my son, it was advertised as unlocked, bought as unlocked but received as locked to Vodaphone. It shows up in my purchase history as unlocked. At no point during the purchase process was there any indication that the phone was locked to a network. This caused an amount of consternation over the Christmas period, numerous phone calls and a vast amount of general annoyance and disappointment.

The vendor claimed that it was marked as locked to Vodaphone, but this information only seems to be visible when looking at the "other buying options" feature and certainly doesn't appear on the order history. In the order history the phone is displayed as being Unlocked. Looking at the other buying options now seems to indicate that not all the phones available are unlocked, which is misleading. I can't fault the vendor for their post sales support and help but in the end the phone had to go back and I lost an amount of money on the deal (no full refund because the phone was opened and had been used, albeit just enough to see that it didn't work).

In the end, if you want an unlocked iPhone 4S buy it straight from Apple for around £500 for the 16Gb model.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Feb 2012, 11:18:56 GMT
heartface says:

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2012, 08:56:26 GMT
I see what you are saying Heartface, but I understand why the guy is so miffed. My GF bought me an 'unlocked' Iphone 4 for my xmas present which also turned out to be locked to one carrier. I had it tested in an O2 shop. What disgusts me even more, is that this seller is charging significantly more than Apple do themselves! If it's not cheaper than the company manufacturing it, never buy it from a 3rd party. After a few strongly worded emails to our seller, we got a refund as the goods were not 'as described'. Even though we had opened the box. I think it's a disgrace that this poor guy hasn't got a full refund and think Amazon should do more to prevent this occurring. Perhaps companies charging greater than RRP should be forced to indicate this to allow it's customers to make a better informed choice.

Posted on 6 Mar 2012, 14:14:15 GMT
A.Bell says:
While this is primarily a site for reviews of Amazon products, many post their purchase experiences about other sellers. While he doesn't specifically mention Amazon , B A Reiter's story serves as a caution to prospective buyers about the pitfalls of purchasing a very expensive item and as such is very helpful.

Posted on 22 May 2012, 10:25:00 BST
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2012, 10:33:52 BST
Del Ric says:
Thank you for this warning. Have now ordered both directly from Apple. We currently have Vodafone contracts which are to be transferred to the iPhones. Had a long discussion with Vodafone and they have provided the micro sim cards for our accounts, free of charge, plus a small delivery fee (£2:50). Assured me that the cards would not alter the unlocked status of the phones which will allow us to buy pay as you go cards when abroad. That is until Vodafone reduce their exorbitant roaming charges. At the moment the plan seems to be working - however only time will tell. Again thanks for this warning.
As to the phones I feel they are the defacto standard by which all other smart phones are measured. There are several within my family (hence our joining the bandwagon). All family members are extremely happy with their purchase and will upgrade to the latest version when their phone dies. The only downside is the price, but sometimes you just have to accept the downside.

Posted on 13 Dec 2013, 13:28:06 GMT
jojo says:
thank you so much for this review as I am trying to purchase the same for Christmas present. Saved me a lot as I read unlocked. Criminal this people as surprised Amazon allow this misleading information, could be costly and sadly was to the people who bought it. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Posted on 21 Dec 2014, 15:21:35 GMT
jackie edge says:
The same happened to me but bought a blackberry that was marked unlocked but was locked to orange. Also the battery in it was loose and was nt the original battery.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›