5.0 out of 5 stars Very Versatile, 29 Jun. 2013
This review is from: [ALL In 1] EasyAcc® Portable WiFi Router & WiFi Repeater, Wireless External HDD / Flash Drive / SD Card Reader, 8800mah PowerBank Built-in External Battery Pack for iPhone, Andorid, Windows 7 8, IOS, Mac OS, Andorid Smartphones, iPad, Tablets (Personal Computers)
I was supplied this free to test and review.
Tested using iPad2, a generic Chinese Android tablet and a HP Windows 8 laptop.

I have not seen a gadget before that enables a tablet without expandable storage to have access to almost limitless memory for storage. In addition to this it can act as a wireless router and a backup battery for phones etc.

Out of the box it needs charging and comes with a usb charging lead to connect to your own charger as it charges 4 blue leds progressively light and flash until all 4 are on steadily and it is then fully charged and ready to use.

As the set up seemed quite complicated I followed the fairly comprehensive instructions which were enclosed. After downloading the "FTP Manager" from Google Play and installing it (I used the Android tablet first) I then followed the instructions and was met with the message "Server not Found". It is probably apparent to everyone except me that the server would not be found until I logged on to the Wi-Stor.

The easiest way to set it up initially is to temporary replace your router with this one turn it on and look for EasyAcc_4005DE and log on to it (At this stage it is an open network). Then download the "FTP Manager" and run it to complete the set up. You can then put your router back. If you don't want to do this you have to download the "FTP Manager" on your normal set up and then switch to EasyAcc_4005DE to complete the settings, once you have done this you will not need to do it again.

The next thing I worried about was security as admin and admin are not the most secure names and passwords. The router has quite a range and my neighbour was able to log into it quite easily.

Nothing in the instructions indicate that you can change the security settings, however it is easy, enter the Server Address into the command line of your browser and the home screen opens allowing you to view all the settings and make the changes you want. The most important being to make it secure.

Now it is set up I could use my ipad or android tablet to access a variety of memory devices that are connected to the Wi-Store I tried it with a 32Gb SD card, the maximum it will take, a 64Gb flash drive and a 1TB portable hard drive, all worked perfectly.
This device is a boon if you want to take files that total more than the capacity of the tablet, my little Android tablet is 8Gb with no expansion capability but with this I was able to watch a number of films from the portable HDD.

The other useful thing this does is to work as a back up battery it will supply 5V through a usb socket, to switch the battery on in this mode you need to press the power button for 3 seconds, If you want to know the state of charge press the button briefly and some of the 4 leds will light up one for each 25% of charge.

After playing with this on my tablets I thought I would try it with my laptop. There was no problem whatsoever using it as a wireless router but when I came to transfer files it was more difficult. It is possible to directly transfer using the server address in the command line but it was not the most straightforward way of doing it. I looked for an equivalent of the apps that I used for the Android and iPad although there are many I found that "Free FTP Manager 2.2" worked as well as anything and it is free.

In summary I am not sure if there are any other gadgets like this which allow you to wirelessly expand the memory of tablet devices, share files between tablets, act as a Wireless router and storage battery. It is a very useful addition to anyone who finds the memory in their tablet too limited.

It is not clear from my review but I used "free ftp manager 2.2.14b" with Windows 8 available from the Windows store. I am also told "FileZilla" works well [Thank you Ed ]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jul 2013, 15:16:07 BST
Sourav B says:
Hi, thanks for the review. This seems to tick all the boxes. One thing I am interested in is if it acts as a bridge to my home internet router? Would be great if you could confirm. Many thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2013, 21:20:23 BST
Bob says:
I don't think so (I have looked at the instructions and do not see any mention of this) but I could be wrong the last time I used a router as a bridge I had to replace some of the firmware. It is probably best to email the maker, they should be able to help.
support@easyacceu.com

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jul 2013, 06:43:01 BST
Sourav B says:
Thanks. Will do that and update here.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2013, 14:16:31 BST
yes it can act as a bridge for ethernet connection. dont think it can do wifi passthrough though like the kingston and a couple of other devices. but the others dont have ethernet port like this one does.

Posted on 8 Jan 2014, 18:24:41 GMT
Billy Dyson says:
What 1TB HDD did you use? I'm thinking of buying this but one of the reviews claims this device wont recognise USB3.0 HDD's and all the USB HDD's amazon have are USB3.0 now. I know it would only run at USB2 speeds but being able to access USB3 drives is important as they are the only ones I can find to buy. If you have a USB3.0 HDD or memory stick could you test it?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2014, 19:49:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jan 2014, 19:55:11 GMT
I tested with usb3.0 Toshiba 1tb portable drive and several USB 2 flash drives as shown in my video review on YouTube which I have linked on my Amazon review. It works fine with USB 3 and 2 devices that I have. But it is a USB 2 port so speeds will be USB 2 speeds

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2014, 19:55:48 GMT
Billy Dyson says:
Thanks. USB 2 speeds are fine. It was a review stating that it wouldn't even access them that had me concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2014, 20:13:01 GMT
On my unit I had to keep the SD card inside the SD slot or it wouldn't read the hard disk but others haven't had this issue.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2014, 20:16:46 GMT
Billy Dyson says:
Thanks again. Although even if that turns out to be necessary it's not a deal breaker. Easy enough to leave a cheap low capacity card in there permanently. Good to know to try it if I run into problems though.

Posted on 13 Apr 2014, 21:41:34 BST
The 'Server not Found' message had me baffled for a few days until I realised that rather than switch off your usual router was not the appropriate action, but that you should physically get each device to 'forget' your usual router and then and only then you can connect to the EasyAcc. If the EasyAcc is not listed in the results of 'Scan for Networks to connect to' then you have to manually add it on your device and it will then connect.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›