5.0 out of 5 stars What you need to know, 8 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Unleash the Warrior within: Develop the Focus, Discipline, Confidence and Courage You Need to Achieve Unlimited Goals (Paperback)
I ordered this book while on an Amazon shopping spree. When it arrived I stood there going "What was I thinking?". Navy SEALS, macho man on the cover, mean stare and a title which reads "Unleash the warrior.." Anyway, I've made some stupid purchases in the past, so at least it wasn't as if this was the first one.
A few days later I got the flu and had to stay in bed for a few days, so I started paging through this macho title. And suddenly I propped myself up, and got a pen and paper for notes. This book was good!
It seems as if most of the macho stuff was concentrated on the cover. Okay, so the author tells quite a few stories about his SEAL-days, but always to illustrate a point. Funny thing is, the point was often related to un-macho things, such as (his own) fear and feelings of inadequacy.
As I lay there reading, I soon came to realise that this was the VERY BEST self-improvement book I've ever read. Yes, even better than Covey's "Seven Habits" (because Machovitz's advice will work for everyone, his ideas are not pie-in-the-sky, and the methods have been tried, tested and perfected in numerous very difficult situations). If you are from the Carnegie school, you are also in for a surprise - this guy is genuine, and not once does he imply anything along the line of "fake it till you make it". Quite the contrary.
Machovitz is a good writer, and his editor also did a great job. I enjoyed the book thoroughly. Not one boring page. His anecdotes from his military days were amusing, captivating and thought-provoking. A good read even if this isn't a leisure book.
The purpose of the book is to provide the reader with "tools" with which to order his life, establish and prioritise goals, and then to equip himself with the right mindset to go out and get it. Very effective. And it works.
While reading the book, I had a pen and paper handy with which I made notes. I used the 8 or so pages I've made and prepared a series of talks for my employees. The results in their lives were as dramatic as the changes in my own.
Don't let the packaging put you off. It's one of the most life-changing books I've ever read.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2009, 10:54:43 GMT
A very well-written and positive review. I too was being put off by the awful picture on the front cover. I am a 79 year lady who still wants to get up and go out there. I have a self published book but need some new insight and ideas how to sort of bring myself up to date. Thankyou again for the review. I will now order the book

Posted on 29 Oct 2010, 12:13:21 BST
Tim Fouraker says:
Great review, wouldn't have bought the book without it. Many thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2010, 12:17:48 BST
Tim Fouraker says:
My greatest of respects to you Madame. How wonderful to have your attitude at your age, you must be a huge inspiration to all who know you. Best of luck with your book, and I'd love to know what it is?

Posted on 14 Jun 2011, 16:13:21 BST
Thanks for the review, before reading I was very put off by packaging - awful design. The cover would be better suited to The Bouncer's Bible.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›