on 26 November 2012
"Weekend hats" has a very good variety of designs in different weights of wool and there are several here I would try. I am half-way through my first ever hat (Leaves Long Beanie) and finding it getting easier. I am not an experienced knitter but wanted to try something more challenging on a small scale so that I don't get discouraged. I like the idea of short weekend projects - ideal for a winter evening in. A lot of the patterns use lace or cable stitches with charts (- so far, so good). Only a couple use complex coloured patterns. That's OK because I can't do those yet!

I'm not sure why one reviewer was bothered by using circular needles. It seems straightforward and the knitting doesn't fall off easily, and surely it's fun to learn a different method. I've just ordered a set of circular bamboo needles on Amazon for a few pounds which I think will cover most of the sizes I need for the other designs in this book.

One criticism is that most of the hats seem to be in a small size - even the men's. Only found two so far to fit me without adjustment, but I'm knitting this one for a petite family member and when I start on one for myself I'll just try a larger needle and keep measuring.
0Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?