on 22 February 2011
I really wanted to like this novel. It had a whiff of the William Gibson about it, a certain sci-fi noir air. The writing style is quite accessible, and it's easy to get into.

However, given that the title was 'Spares' and the blurb I thought the story was going to be about cloning, but somewhere within the book it trailed off into a fairly standard 'gritty' sci-fi novel and the whole cloning thing seemed pretty forgotten.

Now, I don't mind my protagonists being messed up (aren't we all?), but I do get a bit wearisome when it's rammed down my throat. Okay, I get it, the main character is a lousy husband, father, and a pretty unpleasant person - but I don't need to read it every other page. I found it hard to empathise with the protagonist or really care about him (I did however want to give him a slap on more than one occasion).

So what can I say? It passes an afternoon. But if you're well read in the sci-fi genre, don't expect anything monumental to jump out and surprise you, it's all by the numbers here. Before I forget - whoever designed the cover for this edition needs taking out and tickled until in tears. It's awful.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details