on 6 September 2013
Rewrite Redemption is the story of two time travellers; a girl who doesn't understand her ability and a boy who has misused his, and is paying the price.

Straightaway, I loved the narrative voices of both A.J and Constantine. These two characters are quite real and three dimensional. Hats off to the author for giving them their own lives and unique set of problems before they ever meet each other. Too often in stories that have a romantic element, especially YA fiction, our boy and girl have nothing much happening in their lives until they meet The One, which is when the drama starts. Here the author has created two characters suffering the inner turmoil that results from their believable family problems. It was good to get inside both their heads and you cannot help but sympathise.

The time travel aspect revolves around alien technology, a secret group of people who go back in time to 'edit' events and trees which are used as a kind of touchstone for energy. I don't normally read time travel stories but I do ask a lot of questions to understand the systems in created worlds. JH Walker does a good job of feeding us the 'science stuff' gradually which is necessary for things not to get complicated.

What stopped me giving Rewrite Redemption a higher rating was the lack of action scenes and overall sense of threat. I understand that this type of story needs build up and has laid the foundation work for a sequel, but I just wanted things to happen quicker. Twenty chapters in and the hero and heroine had not even had a conversation. In fact I got half way through before they actually interacted properly. Unfortunately I also lost the distinctness of their voices after that. Once they started pining for each other they sounded very similar to me.

I would also have liked the thrill of worrying for these characters. A.J has no control over when she will 'jump' nor for how long. But in anticipation of these events she does have a survival pack ready, complete with a book to pass the time with, until she gets back home. I would have liked for her to be in more danger during her jumps.

Overall it was a very interesting concept, well written and clearly well-thought out in terms of mythology and systems. But just too light on action for me.
What's this?