on 12 November 2013
Costco are offering this for £99+vat throughout November 2013.

Intuit state the new method of calculating VAT as an accuracy benefit, however upgraders (from 2006 and previous) are forced to re-create their invoice templates from scratch. The changes in the way VAT is calculated will prevent you from keeping your invoices looking how they did previously. Having a more accurate VAT calculation outweighs this, but I don't see why it isn't possible to show VAT on a line by line basis as it was in the 2006 version.

The import from 2006 to 2014 was painless, apart from having to re-create invoices. I heard that the import to previous versions was pretty awful, but I had no issues. Please bear in mind that I have a relatively simple company and I did not use the multicurrency facility. My company file was less than 100mb (16mb to be precise) and took 8 minutes to import on an i7 with 8gb +SSD on Win7 64bit. Didn't take me long, but that isn't that fast for such a small file, so it might take you longer.

The built in reports are good, as is the help, although it strikes me that this really isn't that different from 2006. I think I would have been disappointed had I upgraded to an earlier version than 2014, given the apparent lack of new features. Don't get me wrong, there are some new things here, some of which are very nice, and the interface change won't leave you feeling unfamiliar, but I can imagine this being quite a painful upgrade for some (if you have lots of templates) for relatively little reward overall. I really only upgraded because of OS upgrade from XP to W7.

I may well be underestimating what's going on 'under the bonnet', but from a user's perspective, this really does feel like upgrading to next year's iPhone. It looks different, but after the effort of importing, it doesn't do much more. New users will love it, whilst previous owners will be somewhat underwhelmed. I cannot imagine why anyone who started with 2008 or above would bother at the price point.

For everything I've said, the other side of the coin is that they haven't tried to fix what isn't broken, and that's commendable. However, there needs to be a cheaper upgrade path. Not much has changed in nearly a decade, and if I had paid the full PC World £299 price I would be feeling pretty upset.
0Comment| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?