5.0 out of 5 stars Cold Comfort, 23 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Winter's Bone [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
For me this is the movie of the year so far. It's quite a simple story, which I wont spoil for you now, but it is richly drawn and full of menace and suspense. Although the subject matter is often horrific and unsettling, it is always suggested than rather smeared all over the screen, makings it's impact more real. The acting is excellent throughout, with the characters being as convincing and they are frightening.

The heroine of the movie inspires admiration and affection, and even raises a few laughs despite her perilous predicament. Although the film portrays a landscape of desperation and desolation, it is ultimately satisfying and uplifting.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Oct 2010, 14:57:13 BST
K. Oppegaard says:

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2010, 15:36:25 BST
Last edited by the author on 30 Oct 2010, 19:53:01 BST
C. Mckenna says:
Where I live we have this thing called cinemas, that's why you'll see 38 reviews for Toy Story 3 today. But I supposed they just imagined they seen it.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2010, 18:44:22 GMT
K. Oppegaard says:

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2010, 16:05:37 GMT
D. Payne says:
I kind of see your point K.Oppegaard, but as someone who is only interested in the film's quality I found the original review to be fine. Make all the fuss you like about extra features and technical minutae in a review of your own. There was certainly no need to criticise the reviewer as harshly as you did.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2010, 05:41:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2010, 06:27:15 GMT
I agree with you completely D.Payne. In fact all the comments are negitive, apart from yours. I thought the review of the movie was great, & that's why I scrolled down. I don't care about the blu-ray disc, or the features on it. I wanted to know whether the movie's any good & that's it. The review was excellent!

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2011, 22:14:07 GMT
What a Sad Geek you are Oppegaard!!!
C. McKenna only reviewed a film she'd seen at the cinema, which I imagine will (at least loosely) be the same movie they put on the disc right?
Should I claim not to have seen The King's speech at the cinema recently (when I attended a screening of the King's Speech at the cinema) when someone asks me prior to renting a DVD if it's any good? Or should I say that my oppinion is not valid and cannot qualify as I am unaware of it's bit-rate or if it's a single-layered transfer and that I don't know if applying digital noise reduction heavily will have impaired the film to a point that it is no longer the same film anymore and that they've probablt changed Oscar winner Colin Firth into a CGI version instead and instead of a stutter he now can't stop hip-hopping?!

You are a very silly man Oppegaard, you are more than likely single and most certainaly a virgin. You probably attend Star Trek conventions dressed as a Klingon and enjoy the elegance of brogues. Leave us alone please!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011, 14:23:45 GMT
Tha Fsta says:
Jonathan - I agree with most of what you are saying, but please remove the offensive language from your comment, especially the first line and in the final paragraph. Albeit O. has not been that charming himself, surely such rude words do not help your argument.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2011, 21:23:26 GMT
Hmmmmm....I've read it again, it doesn't seem too bad?! Mr O. is just trying to be awkward and silly, his comments have almost marred a delightful review, I have recently watched the movie and I thought it was wonderful.
We don't need people like O. jumping up and being a pain. O's intention was to belittle and try and make Mckenna feel socially inept, he did not respect Mckenna's right to an oppinion either, which is wrong.
I was only using comedic put-downs to try and show O. how irrelevant his contribution was, and it was hardly constructive criticism either was it.
I do appreciate what you have said, I do not intend to be outrightly nasty, it would be fun if O. were to retaliate actually and we could have a bit of harmless fun, I don't think too ill of him! x

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012, 16:45:57 BST
Chapman says:
The review will most likely feature on both the DVD and Blue Ray page on Amazon so commenting on the additional extras is certainly not essential. I read it as I wanted a review of the actual film and I find Amazon reviews much more reliable than the vast majority of critics. This was no exception, good job!

Posted on 26 Jul 2016, 18:06:03 BST
davey w says:
Hi I like your review but before I order this dvd can you advise me on if
It will play on uk dvd players. I prefer imports if available so I'd like
This but only if it's ok for the UK.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›