Easily the cheapest 500gb usb drive here at Amazon. Everywhere else is much more. But it's not just cheap, it's fast and works well.
1) Manual power switch on unit as well as an auto startup/shutdown switch. The My Book drives can't do both at the same time unless you turn on/off at the wall. Safely remove drive in software also turns off the drive too.
3) Stackable sideways (a shame Amazon don't sell the stacking fans).
4) Fast. I copied a 4.35 GB file from my old drive and then one from this drive. The old drive which was IDE with a 2meg cash took 4 mins. This took just over three. Note you need to turn on the cache in the windows USB policies to use the 16meg cache and get the best out of the speed.
5) The drive is very well behaved. My old drive tends to access and flicker now and then, but this one only accesses when you'd expect it to.
1) Not the coolest looking drive. Still, it looks okay.
2) A little slim for standing upright. Be careful not to knock it over! Horizontal is best. I'll be stacking my two sideways.
3) It tends to low level drone a little, so it's not quiet. It's still a lot quieter than my old drive that gave a sort of metallic high-pitched whistle.
Note: The drive does not use a Western Digital, Seagate or Maxtor etc. but uses Buffalo's own hard disc model. I can't find any info on reliability, but as hard disc tech is practically the same, it should be fine.