on 25 February 2013
In the space of half an hour, I'd wiped a tear from my eye, annoyed my wife several times by reading out the lines that had made me snort with laughter and learned approximately 17 things about New York that I didn't previously know. I believe that's called "a result".

As a previous reviewer suggests, there's a risk that, even at the current price, this book will get expensive as you plan your own rail journey across the US. That's partly down to it being one of those dreams that's been lurking at the back of my mind for years but mostly due to Smith's good humour, charm and way with words: as good as Twitchhiker was, this is so much of an improvement, I suspect Smith met the Devil at a crossroads part way through this journey and struck a deal for his soul.

It's not often I complain that a book is too short, but that's my only moan about this one. Still, part two's coming - soon I hope - and you can hardly argue about any book that costs less than the average Sunday paper, let alone one that's better written, that teaches you considerably more and is very, very funny.
What's this?