VINE VOICEon 17 June 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loaded this one up with high hopes. I'm a long-term AVG user, currently using version 7.5 of the free offering available from AVG. STILL using version 7.5? Well yes, I am - I had so many problems and grumbles with this new version I uninstalled it after a couple of days.

The total package offers a lot of functions, including a firewall. I had hoped this would replace my existing firewall, reducing the number of startup applications I would require. It DID replace it, but it fared badly. The configuration was overly complex, and the presentation of pop-ups was unnecessarily intrusive - large and centre screen, in front of anything you were doing or watching. This meant that even when no action was required it was impossible to ignore it, and using the PC as the centre of an entertainment system became a chore.

The other problems relate to crashes. My PC, which suffers an occasional lock-up like any other, was suddenly doing it every couple of hours, and the AVG application itself crashed (and restarted, to its credit) around every twenty minutes. Throw in the fact that I only managed to get one scan of my PC to successfully complete in two days (the rest died mid-scan) and I was reaching unhappily for the UNINSTALL.

Perhaps these problems will be ironed out over successive small-increment releases, but for now AVG 8.0 is extremely disappointing.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink