on 28 May 2013
I've had this machine running now for a couple of weeks and here is my verdict so far. I added 4 gig of memory from Crucial, a 320 gig hard drive from WD, and an LG/Philips DVD writer (slot loading). The installation of these components is simple for anyone who has fiddled inside a computer before, and relatively straightforward for a novice thanks to the step by step guide. I've built a few pc's in my time so this task was accomplished in a few minutes.
Now for the OS - you have a few choices and it depends on one thing - do you want dual screen output? If the answer is Yes, then you must install Windows 7 32 bit. I have had a few Linux distros running on this machine (Lubuntu 13.04, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Wary Puppy 5.5, Fedora 18) and could not get the OS to recognise the 2nd display. I could use either HDMI (into my DVI monitor) or VGA but not both simultaneously. I wanted an extended dual screen setup and only Windows 7 was able to give me this. The latest drivers from the Intel website are version 8.14.8.1091.
I have not built this machine as a media server, but as a regular everyday-use machine, for which it is perfect. It runs JRiver media center (sic) for music files perfectly. Internet browsing, etc, all fine. The Windows experience scores are: processor=3.5, memory=5.1 (was 5.0 with 2 gig installed), graphics=5.9, gaming graphics=3.3, primary hard disk=5.8 (standard 5400 rpm laptop drive WD Blue). i.e. overall score=3.3 but then this isn't supposed to be a gaming rig!
Personally I'd recommend it, it's small, almost quiet (probably totally quiet with an SSD) and has a good set of connections (USB etc). I was slightly annoyed at not being able to get *buntu etc to run with 2 monitors, but Windows 7 runs perfectly adequately for my needs, and I suspect for most PC users out there.
11 Comment| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.