TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
CALENDAR CHIMES

I trust time
To be, to pass and to fly
The never-ending always

The infant Reason stares
At numerical comprehension

Inevitable circularity
Relatively returning space
Like the marks on a clock
Remembered

Post-ancient maxims
Pre-modern ideals
Watch my rhyme
In-perfect time.

Written many years ago Claudia Hammond's book made me look at my poem on a wall. Part of a photograph of my younger self taking a picture of me before a mirror. Sepia tones and slightly out of focus, the 'effect' is complete by the fact that the frame hides a hole in the wall. Pick the bones out of that time warped conundrum!

I did not think the author could go three hundred pages on the perception of time but as you begin reading you understand the depth of her understanding. People centred. As someone with brain damage I never seek out books on the subject but do enjoy accidental insight into my condition. Part of which is my relationship with time. Having experienced two motorcycle crashes, one I never had any memory of and the other I was acutely conscious of every moment, I am finding the book enlightening as well as interesting.

I am always occupied. How people can sit around watching tv all day is beyond me. Whilst I don't wear a watch, I am often checking clocks. Interesting to read of body temperature affecting time perception. In fact the details in her book are many but are invariably connected to real people. This is a psychology text book which is just a little bit cuddly. Or did I write that recalling the author's colour photo on the back flap of the book?

The last occasion when I considered my relationship with time produced the poem above. Many humans live alone these days. That is different from being alone. Without time.
22 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.