on 4 March 2005
Selecting a book purely on hype is something I don't, as a rule, do. However, if I was relying on a description of Seabiscuit alone, I don't think I would ever have bought it. Horse-racing would not be a subject matter to excite me; before reading Seabiscuit, I had never heard of the horse, its jockey, its owner or its trainer. I don't even have a particular interest in the time the story is set - pre-WW2 USA.
With the book read, I can tell you that from the opening words, right to the end, I was fascinated. It is a wonderful tale of sport, emotions, commitment, survival and the human spirit. The overriding achievement of Laura Hillebrand in this book is to take a subject in which a reader has no interest, and yet write a tale that fascinates him. In a strange way, I do not ever want to see the movie 'Seabiscuit' - I feel the book is so well written that it could only be spoiled by a movie.
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?