1.0 out of 5 stars A career low, possibly by any artist....... ever, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Benji (Audio CD)
Well, as somebody else said, I have been a fan since Down Colourful Hill. I own and listen to probably about 90% of his LP's , no mean feat given the slew of recent releases sent our way. Seen Kozelek live, would put 'April' in the top 10-20 albums I own, even liked the move to a more picked guitar style.

But... it is clear he is just taking the mickey out of his fans now, from some recent interviews he sounds cynical, and to release this as an album that requires the punter to spend money, must be the most cynical ploy in history.
In a word - terrible. But why, when the other reviewers gave it 5 stars?! Well each to their own. From my perspective I hear 1) off key vocals 2) no hooks or vocal inflections of interest 3) a none scanning, dull, flat phrased delevery of a teenagers diary 4) terrible uninteresting "conquest" lyrics in the style of Adrian Mole 5) "fall flat" humour coupled with the least interesting guitar since the Bert Wheedon 6) and the most disappointing use of talented guest singers for a long time - did Will oldham have a credit card bill he had to pay?

I could go on, but I know that will get boring fast. I just wonder what the quality control is on this product, and why I was such a fool to buy it. Truly terrible.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Feb 2014, 12:30:02 GMT
T. BASS says:
it's his best album to date imo. stop letting your extremely restricted expectations of music ruin your experience of it. if you respected mark at all, you'd realise this is a worthy attempt at trying something new. A lot of work has gone into this album, and a lot of soul. To give it 1 star is (surely) reactionary, and a horrible insult.
this album is heartfelt, beautifully produced, i have no idea why you think the vocals are off key.. they're just not... the only thing that's flat is your imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2014, 18:42:52 GMT
Dr. Lee PhD says:
T.bass - thanks for the balanced comments on my review. I am not sure how you know what my 'expectations of music' are, as I am not even sure what they are myself, other than quality songs, structure, melody and playability for my £10 credit card payment.

I appreciate you love it, and I am not sure why my dislike of this sub - Adrian Mole boreathon, is of any concern to you.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my comment though.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014, 16:04:54 GMT
J. Bryan says:
Mr Sharp, I'm afraid that on my first listen I agree with you. Like you I have most of Mr Kozelek's recorded works. Hope it grows on me, but at this moment it is tuneless, lacking melody and yes his voice is out of tune in places.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2014, 16:15:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Feb 2014, 09:24:42 GMT
Dr. Lee PhD says:
Mr Bryan. I faced the same disappointment as you. I have tried again, and then again. But to be honest life is too short and I have filed this one under "In future with Kozelek, don't believe the hype - listen to spotify before purchasing". Meanwhile I am thoroughly enjoying the new Beck and Mogwai albums which both deserve the rave reviews.
When you think of all the great songs and albums that Kozelek has released from '24', through 'Unlit Hallway' to the amazing 'Tiny Cities' covers, through to 'Half Moon Bay'. I am at a complete loss to undertstand what has happened since 'Among the Leaves'.

Others seem to get it. I don't.

Posted on 13 Apr 2014, 13:53:05 BST
John Haylock says:

Posted on 13 Apr 2014, 13:53:56 BST
John Haylock says:

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2014, 15:08:00 BST
hilltopman says:
Mr haylock, why the abuse filled comment, because I do not enjoy this album? You put fellow kozelek fans to shame.

Posted on 7 May 2014, 15:23:19 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 May 2014, 15:24:34 BST
J. Terry says:
To be fair to you it is a difficult listen - I can certainly see why you didn't like it. But all music is a language and you just need to learn the emotional vocabulary. Also it is obvious from your review that you are judging Mark himself and that is going to block your ability to get it. One of the wonderful things about Mark's world is that he wouldn't judge you for the same :) Compliment him for telling you honestly about his inability to 'get it in' to an ex in front of the whole world - be honest that you would not be brave enough to unify the world in that way. I'm certainly not :)

Posted on 21 May 2014, 03:43:17 BST
S. Davies says:
Fair enough - everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you hate it, you hate it, but in trying to take as much of a neutral viewpoint as I can, I cannot possibly see how you can rate this album 1 out of 5 and write such a scathing review.

For me, this is one of the finest albums I've heard in recent years and, whilst it is a very challenging and difficult listen, I believe it displays some truly epic storytelling and lyrical prowess.

I can usually (and always try to) see things from other people's point of view and fully appreciate that everyone has different tastes, but on this occasion - especially because you say you are a big fan of SKM - I definitely think you have got it very wrong indeed. If you want fully-tuned vocals and big hooks, I would suggest you're more suited to the latest X-Factor artists who churn out ready-made ear-candy for the masses.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2014, 09:56:52 BST
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2014, 09:58:59 BST
Dr. Lee PhD says:
Davies. Thanks for starting your comment with a fair appraisal of your thoughts. But why then dissolve into abuse? You know little of my musical interests, so why suggest I like the big hooks and X Factor - which may or may not be true anyway - and so what if it is? I said i was a big fan of most of Kozelek's output and own all the regular releases, I think Highway and April were fantastic SKM releases, most of his recent moaning over a nylon guitar has not been so good.
In my opinion this is the worst album i have paid for in decades - I don't normally get it wrong - but this is a solid zero out of 5.
The only difficult and challenging aspect of Benji, is that unfortuantely every track sounds like a Coldplay demo, with extra whining, humourless, self absorded lyrics and the dullest backing tunes since the latest Elbow release.

The challenge is to sit though his dire travelogue/drone fest.

The fact that so many people seem to object to me having a view on this album, just proves the narrowminded nature of Kozelek fans to me. They pretend to be making balanced comments, and deteriorate into abuse from behind their grubby keyboards.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›