on 8 April 2013
I won this book in a competition. I don't think I would have bought it as the front and back covers do give the impression this is only a book for readers interested in cooking or chefs. Far from it!

At first, I found it hard to get into the story because I found the almost complete lack of punctuation marks terribly annoying. They do, after all, exist for a reason, i.e. to clarify the meaning of written sentences. I did understand that the author was employing this method to bring the character of Zac, and his way of thinking, closer to us, but still... terribly annoying. Who knew it, though, that not that far into the story, same becomes so captivating and the book so un-put-downable, that I almost managed to ignore the lack of Comma & Co.?

Anyway, it is fair to say that in my four decades of devouring books, I have never read anything so original and unpredictable as The Cook. Whilst I did have a growing feeling of something distinctly "not good" developing within the plot, nothing could've prepared me for the jaw-dropping final pages. If you're going to read this book, DO NOT skip to the end!! You will only spoil your own entertainment, if you want to call it that.

In my humble opinion, this book is a must-read and I would be genuinely surprised if it's not picked up by book clubs near and far in the immediate future. I found it a brilliant read and will give this book as a present to a number of friends. Enjoy!
What's this?