on 9 November 2009
I have been trying to decide whether or not to buy this TV for many weeks. Initial reviews on Amazon were very good as you can see if you are now reading this. I looked at other reviews on other sites and although very good in general I noticed a few comments which put me off a bit. The reflective glass and "dust magnet" comments did not bother me but reading about image retention and screen burn did. I think that you have to be very cautious with plasma screens, even the latest generation ones, and I have been given a couple of tips which, hopefully, will eradicate the concerns I mentioned.
The first is to have screen settings for contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness at 50 for the first 100 hours or so to allow the TV to "bed in". Obviously this will initially make the picture very dull but any temptation to change the settings must be avoided. I have had my TV for a week now and the difference already without changing the settings is incredible. Even with the screen naturally becoming brighter and more vibrant there has been no evidence of image retention. Once the initial 100 hours of watching has been reached only minimal tweaking will be required to get my ideal picture.
The second tip is designed to reduce the risk of screen burn. One review I read stated that hours of watching GMTV caused the logo to burn the screen. That was a worry as most stations now have an on screen logo eg Sky Sports. On the remote press menu - options - ISM method and choose "orbital". This apparently makes the pixels move (unseen to the human eye) thereby reducing the risk of screen burn.
So what do I think of this TV. I could not be more pleased. As I stated above, the picture is settling down really nicely and the picture quality is very good indeed. Sport is incredible (but don't expect to see a great picture if you are a fan of the older programmes as shown on UKTV Gold) even without HD so I am really looking forward to this weekend when I get my Sky HD box installed. I was advised that if you like sport and want to watch it on a big screen it has to plasma - not LCD. The 600hz in this TV is also a big advantage.
I have read conflicting reports about the sound. I think the sound is okay from the TV but if you have Sky HD you will benefit from a home cinema system as HD broadcasts are in 5.1. It would be better if all broadcasts were in 5.1 but this is,obviously, not the fault of the TV.
If you are thinking about getting this TV go ahead and enjoy it.
77 Comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?