HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 July 2013
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit to a certain bias of opinion when reviewing this product - I had to original vinyl record when I was a child (and indeed still have it in my vinyl pile) and it was a huge huge favourite of mine. Listening to it again on CD brings back such a rush of pleasant nostalgia that I really cannot review it with a critical eye!

This is a `Vintage Beeb' reproduction of the original vinyl, first released in 1980. It is the soundtrack to the animated series `Mr. Men Stories', created by Roger Hargreaves and narrated by Arthur Lowe. It contains 6 episodes, each about 7 minutes in length. Each episode starts with the theme music from the series, then Arthur Lowe's rich, expressive, avuncular voice starts to narrate the tales. Each tale follows the adventures of one of the Mr Men - Messrs Messy, Snow, Daydream, Bounce, Mean and Chatterbox, and how each is in some way transformed. Each tale is funny and beautifully told by Lowe. The disc itself has been made to look like an old vinyl record, complete with the old BBC logo, and the insert is a faithful reproduction of the original sleeve. It's a nice touch for the nostalgia market, and the whole thing is very well done. There are no liner notes to speak of, just a track listing and copyright details.

It was a real pleasure to listen to this again, and I can see it being a real hit with young children (from personal experience I can attest that I loved it when I was a 4-6 yr old, and I hope my own children will like it when they are old enough). 5 stars from me.
What's this?