5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Brand Snobbery, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical Lens for Canon (Camera)
Well, I ummed and aaghed about this one. It was a toss up between Canon, Sigma and Tamron variants in the wide angle range. The Tamron won out in the end based on pretty good reviews (although some brand name die hard reviewers did do their best to torpedo it) and cost.

It came next day, so excellent service from Amazon themselves.

Open the nicely presented box and you'll find a solidly built lens body, hood and instructions. The lens its self feels well put together. It may feel heavy in your hand but, when mounted on to the camera body (500D in my case) it feels surprisingly well balanced. The motor is quiet but AF is a tad slower than I expected but, somehow due to size and feel of the lens body you kind of accept it so it's not enough to mark it down a star based on that. The lens hood feels pretty robust and it locates easily onto the lens body without the worry that it could snap if not correctly located. One thing I'd hasten to add about the hood, although it's designed to be removed and turned around for storage on the lens body when not in use, you won't really be able to stow it in your kit bag still attached. It's wider than the lens it's self and therefore needs more room if it's still fitted.

Colours are crisp but I would add that this lens really does benefit from the use of a Circular Polarised Filter especially if there is the possibility of glass reflection or photographing over open water on a bright day. Very slight chromatic arberration at the edges which an easily be dealt with post processing especially if you shoot in RAW. It was a lot less than I was led to believe in reviews but, that could be down to my subjects and my own personalised camera settings. The downer with having a lens of this size is the cost of the filters; 77cm are not the cheapest!

Wide open, images can be a little soft (but in my experience the Canon software could do with being better at handling sharper images, NIKON are better at that) so it's hard to say if was user error or below parr onboard processing.

Based on the days useage I've had with it, I've caught images that have really opened up a whole new world for me. It's great for landscapes (although some images did come out a bit softer than I would have liked in that department), buildings and anything architectural take on a whole new perspective (however, if you don't like warped perspectives, LR, PS or similar can remove the distortion). Don't just think this lens is only good for the above, think out of the box with it and you can do some fun things. People and objects look kind of funky when taken in 'close up'. It really does open the potential for some artistic exploration.

For the money, you can't go wrong. If you're determined to have nothing but Canon glass in your bag then go ahead but the extra money you'll splash out won't always get you the better result. The money you save buying the Tamron will allow you to get a UV an CP filter and still have enough over to go and buy a bag of chips! (Also the meanies at Canon don't include the Lens hood - I know, some people don't bother with them anyway)

I've based my 5 star rating on the value and quality of the images for the money I've had out of it so far. For me it's now going to be an essential lens in my everyday kit. It's sturdy and practical in a workman-like manner, it certainly won't win any prizes for it's looks, it may have a lens hood that might be a pain in the @r$e to store and a tacky Gold ring on it (more colour matched for Nikon I think) but it really does deliver the goods and I personally think is a poke in the eye for some of the biased brand reviewers out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Nov 2010, 23:29:17 GMT
Hi there,

I am new in the world of photography, and I wonder why you would need to get a lens which is really this wide. Please accept my apologies in advance for my ignorance on the subject

Thanks,

James Black says:

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2011, 10:03:08 BST
Last edited by the author on 4 Jun 2011, 10:38:54 BST
James,

with all due respect, I am not certain whether I ask you this question in the first place.

Yours Sincerely,
Rodney

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2011, 10:17:35 BST
Last edited by the author on 4 Jun 2011, 10:21:59 BST
Thanks for picking me up on that James...
The review is more to do with the lens and how I viewed it at the time. Yes, Canon are very good lenses as are Sigma and Tamron but I admit that both the latter can be very inconsistent with regards to build quality and optics. It's a bit like the daft arguments that people have on auto forums; My Porsche is better than your Ford! Money doesn't always buy the better result...
I have more Canon lenses than 3rd party types but, when it came to wanting a wide angle lens, cost was a huge factor in the decision process as well as exhaustive searching on the web. Results are surely down to a variety of factors such as the environment, camera and techniques employed at the time. This lens has produced some cracking shots as well as some 'iffy' ones. Some of them were down to me and some were down to the conditions on the day but nothing that a quick fiddle of the RAW file in Lightroom couldn't solve. Infact, my respect for this lens has grown. It's seen more use than I expected and since I upgraded to the 60D, I think it has started to show a little more potential.
Resale? Well, I'm not sure that the hobbyist such as myself would really factor that when choosing the lens - it really didn't enter my head when I chose it. When I buy a lens in the 'budget' sector, I don't think how much I could sell it on for in a few years time. If the lens is good (such as this one) then it will be a keeper and if it was rubbish I would have to sell it at a loss and learn the lesson to do my researching and testing more thoroughly next time. If I was buying an 'L' series lens I'm sure I would be buying with an eye on the future...
Regards
Paul

(eta looks like I've just waded into this debate under my wife's account - she will be pleased...)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011, 09:19:32 GMT
Briser says:
Hi Rodney,

I, like yourself, did not fully appreciate why wide-angle lenses were much sought after and expensive but now that I have some experience of taking landscape photos, and have read magazine articles and books by specialists on the subject, I can see how these type of lenses give fantastic results. I do not yet have the spare cash to invest in an ultra-wide but one day I hope to.
If you have a stock 18-55 lens for example, try taking landscapes at the 18mm end, and you may see evidence of this.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2011, 09:23:10 GMT
Briser says:
James, whilst I know where you are coming from (and believe me, I would love an L series lens for my 40D!) I wanted to ask you if you could point me in the direction of a "virtually nothing" Tamron lens (o;
ta,