5.0 out of 5 stars Some very strong performances in one of the best films of 2008, 18 July 2008
This review is from: There Will Be Blood [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
`There Will Be Blood' is the award winning movie starring Daniel Day-Lewis as Daniel Plainview, who transforms himself from a down-and-out silver miner raising a son on his own into a self-made oil tycoon. When Plainview gets a mysterious tip-off that there's a little town out West where an ocean of oil is oozing out of the ground, he heads with his son, H.W., to take their chances in dust-worn Little Boston. In this small town, where the main excitement centres around the church of charismatic preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), Plainview and H.W. make their lucky strike. But even as the well raises all of their fortunes, nothing will remain the same as conflicts escalate and every human value - love, hope, community, belief, ambition and even the bond between father and son - is tainted by corruption, deception and the flow of oil.

With the amount of hype around this film, I had high hopes for this film and what I didn't expect was to be completely engrossed in the story, the characters and some of the best acting that I have ever seen. From the opening scene I just knew that this was going to be great. A lot of people complain that it was too long and that there wasn't enough action in it, making it boring but I found that it was just so well made and well performed and I appreciated it for its excellent character-driven storyline that it was and came to the conclusion that this movie well deserved it's awards it was given. Daniel Day-Lewis is known for being very selective in his roles and stays in character whilst the movies are being filmed, and it goes to show in this film as is an truly incredible performance. Another notable performance is from co-star Paul Dano who plays the preacher Eli Sunday (and also briefly plays Eli's brother Paul after the actor pulled out) who also gives a very powerful performance.

There's not a great deal to say about the story as it is fairly straightforward in that it is a portrayal of the success and downfall of oil miner Daniel Plainview, so when I explain to friends what this is about I always get a face from them where I can tell that they are sarcastically thinking "great"" so I'd recommend just sitting down and watching this and the less you know about it, the better.

The Blu Ray quality is as great as usual. Fantastic sound quality although at some points in the film (especially near the beginning) the picture quality suffers from a little graininess that takes some of the crystal sharp picture away.

Overall this is one of the best films I've seen this year and is one I highly recommend to anyone who really appreciates good acting, a good story and excellent characters.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2010, 11:39:29 BST
Freshie Boy says:
I think your review of this film is excellent however the film is not.

I think Daniel Day Lewis's performance is excellent however, the interaction between characters is not.

Don't get me wrong, all the elements for a classic film are there. The Direction, The acting, the script, but it does not seem to gel together. I kept thinking of "Emperor's New Clothes" while I was watching this.

I like all sorts of films, ranging from Bollywood, to Kurisowa, to David Lynch, and yes I have the attention span to sit through epics, and believe me, if you sit through Bollywood epics like "Mother India" or "Mughal e Azam" for over 3 hours, you can sit through this easily.

This film left me feeling empty, and don't mean empty because it had a lot of negativity. I watched "Precious" several times and think that film is a masterpiece, despite all the negativity in their.

It just didn't work for me. All the elements are there for it to work and this film should take pride of place alongside my classics collection, but it is not up there.

In fact I gave my copy away. Like I said, Emperors New Clothes for me and hence why I gave it 1 star.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2011, 21:25:49 GMT
yea what he said. and also , not sure if you mention it, the films greatest negative, the one thing that let it down, IT WAS CRAP. yep it was no good

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2011, 13:37:06 GMT