on 7 October 2013
I bought the drive for my daughter, but while I had it, I used it to transfer large amounts of data backwards and forwards between various other hard drive storage disks. I'm a photographer so the data was a mix of files ranging from a few Kb to 3+Gb HD videos transferred via Windows Explorer (Vista). I didn't use the software that came with the drive, as it wasn't necessary for what I wanted to do, though it looked straightforward to use if you wish to use it for automatic backup etc. I just plugged the drive into the usb3 socket and it was up and running, no hassle at all. The drive is powered by the usb hub. As most of the other peripherals attached to the hub were self-powered, there were no problems, though if you intend to attach a string of hub-powered devices at the same time, it might be worth checking you won't overload the hub power supply. Data transfer rates between hard drives depended on whether the other drives were usb2 or 3. Between two usb3 drives it was roughly 2.5 to 3 times faster than between two usb2 drives. Even when the Seagate was working with one of the usb2 drives the transfer rate increased by a factor of about 2. From past experience, with a 6 year old computer being used for other tasks at the same time, this was a good real-world result, and given the terrabytes of data being shuffled about, it saved several hours.
The lead that came with it was long enough to plug into the back of the computer and bring it round to where I could reach the drive while sitting at the keyboard. While I can't speak for the longevity of the drive yet, I'm very happy with its performance so far. It was also small, light and attractive to look at (my daughter wanted a red one). It appeared well made and the price was very reasonable. In fact, I'm planning on buying another of these for myself shortly.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink