on 15 August 2009
This album was my first taste of Dead can dance's music: as a result this review is really aimed at those people who, like me, are new to the band and perhaps considering buying some music.

I decided to try some of their music because of the number of artists who refer to Dead can Dance's albums as amongst their favourites, and also because I had really enjoyed Lisa Gerrard's vocalisations on an album of Klaus Schulze's electronic music ("Farscape").

I've enjoyed the album and will probably buy some more from the band, but did find it slightly more "eclectic" than I'd expected. Aspects that I wasn't expecting were that Brenden Perry does quite a fair bit of singing, probably more than the other half of the duo, Lisa Gerrard, and another is that Lisa actually does some proper singing, whereas I was expecting mainly vocalisations. Having said that, neither of the aforementioned unexpected aspects were unpleasant, in fact quite the oppositte. Two of my favourite tracks off the album are "The Carnival is Over" and "How Fortunate the Man With None", both of which are Brenden's vocal: the added beauty of these tracks is the near-symphonic nature of the subtle keyboard playing - gorgeous! "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" completes my trio of favourite tracks; this is a splendid, folky song with Lisa singing unaccompanied.

Elsewhere, there is a lot of eastern influences in the rhythmic and melodic writing: overall the album comes across as some kind of world-folk ambient music - always enjoyable but not quite up to the pleasure I took from the three simpler tracks mentioned above.

It's been an enjoyable experience and, like I have said, one I will probably repeat. To any other newcomers I would say that it's definitely worth a try, in particular of you enjoy dreamy, predominantly eastern soundscapes.

Incidentally, I bought the download version and the sound quality was very good.
0Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.