on 14 February 2013
I was pleasantly surprised with this TV. It was very simple and quick to set up. So far I only use Freeview HD but it has Freesat HD as well. I wired it into my broadband internet as the hub is only two feet away, although the TV has WiFi. I use a Panasonic Diga Freeview PVR which is I also wired in, along with a Virgin Media V+ HD box, all using HDMI connections. My old DVD player is connected with a Scart RGB lead. Audio is via my home cinema setup. I bought a 500Gb Seagate HDD for programme recording.

Likes: Picture quality using the Cinema profile is excellent, and really shows up the best programme production, great contrast. The general setting is not to my taste but others will like it. Upscaling from PVR or DVD is good and adds to the picture, but it will never equal a native 1080 HD source, however the quality is fine. Recording to the 500Gb HDD works well, but you don't get the range of features on a PVR but audio and picture are the same quality as the original programme, so a neat and easy to use feature. Internet access is superb over my 60Mbs Virign broadband. I watched an hour show from BBC iPlayer with only the odd picture flicker (and I am being picky here) and this may have a lot to do with using a wired connection not WiFi. Access to You Tube is also terrific (but note the material on You Tube varies in quality hugely) although searching is fiddly using the remote to input text. The big unexpected plus is that I can see and play back all the music, video and still photo material on my PC on the TV and the quality is great, and it took almost no setup. Brilliant. The icing on the cake is that I have a DLNA app on my Nokia mobile phone and within a minute I had pictures from my phone streaming to the TV - again brilliant and easy to do. BTW phone needs to be connected to your home WiFi. You may also want to download the Panasonic Viera app MkII to you iPhone/Pad and share material and control the TV using it.

Dislikes: The sound is poor on the built in speakers, no two ways about it. The streaming from phone or PC appears to sometimes need you to access the Internet from the TV 1st to kick start the connection, although I am still learning here. The set appears to switch away from my favourites list so I have to keep selecting it again. It appears that you need to set the picture settings for every input ie HDMI 1 or 2, DVB etc.

I would knock half a star off my rating, but I have to say I am generally very pleased with this TV and would recommend it.
What's this?