Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 23 June 2009
I am a long time fan of Dream Theater. I have been listening to them since i was 12 and i have gone to see them as often as i could (one time i traveled to holland in order to see them). I have got every album of theirs, from their early days as Majesty until this latest offering. There is no way you could describe me as anything other than a fan.

I am however rather angry with Dream Theater due to the last three albums they have released. There is no movement forward any more it is the same old drivel over and over. They have taken their progressive music, then found a formula and just applied it. This makes me mad because it belies the description "progressive". There was a time that each new album showed a prgression, new music and new style. Now it is just "look at us we play fast and write music that is in a different time signiture" BFD as far as i am concerned! If the music isnt good it doesnt matter how fast you play it or in what time signiture or how many times you change key. These clever devices are meant to enhance music not be music.

I would much prefer that Dream Theater sat a few rounds out and wrote a really good album instead of churning out the drudge of this album.

And dont get me started on the pompous black hole of music jordan rudess. He should be dropped. He hasnt produced anything good since Scenes from a Memory (which is an excellent album if you aint got it buy that instead of this). I hate seeing him solo for twenty minutes live (i am not joking either it really was 20 minutes, i almost left in the middle of the show). I hate hearing his frankly ridiculous and musically pointless twiddling on the albums. And i hate what has happened to the band over the last few years. If they dont sort it out they have lost my patronage.
88 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?