on 15 June 2012
I read this book because I wanted to understand more about autism since it touched my family. Apart from the actual 'story', I found the proof reading poor -lots of words were hyphenated that shouldn't have been, and the tales were out of order - the time frames jumped about a lot. Was the child 11 (3 times), 12 (once) or 14 (once) when the book ended??

I'm sure everyone has their own opinions about the child and his upbringing -both agreeing with some parts and disagreeing with others, so I won't say what I think about this.

I do think though, that the author, his father, is also at the high end of the autisitic scale. He exhibits several autisitc traits - his lack of consideration for other peole being the chief one, along with his inability to shut up to the point where his long-suffering wife has to pinch him to stop his rantings. So I feel that David is a much worse edition of his father, whom I came to dislike intensely by the end of the book.

I enjoyed the piece written by is wife at the end. I wish she had written the book. Without her husband seeing what she had written preferably, so she could be honest!

I felt so sorry for the older son, James, and very much hope David is settled into sheltered housing before his parents become unable to care for him and the burden falls on this poor lad. I also felt sorry for the neighbours whose property values must have plummeted. And I felt sorry for all the innocent bystanders attacked by this child and then followed up by a verbal attack by his father just because they didn't understand autism.

I did not enjoy this book. I learned a fair bit about how to treat and how not to treat an autistic child. I wouldn't read anything else by this author though.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?