on 18 July 2009
I don't tend to go for horror books often, but after being reccomended this by a friend I'm glad I decided to read it.
After being warned that it's gory, I went into it without thinking much of it. This turned out to be a mistake, as I found myself 'ooooh'ing and 'ahhh'ing at some of the more grotesque deaths.
I was also a bit wary of a single chapter, but in the end I think it works a lot better. I found it kept me engaged, I read this in a single sitting, something that rarely happens.
I think the most entertaining thing about this book is that it takes no prisoners. The author doesn't think 'oh an old lady, better make sure she survives', he thinks 'I wonder how much I can make the reader vomit by such and such a death'. The story goes straight into the action, and within 50 pages there are already at least four deaths, giving a lovely taster of what to come.
The rest of the book is paced well, with all the events slowly leading up to the climax. Every little break from one group of people is another cliffhanger, and you desperately hope that another group finds them in time, or that they'll be able to hide themselves from the villains (which sadly fails pretty much every time).
It's a great read, and I would definintely read it again. Fully reccomend it to anyone that has a strong stomach.
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?