on 10 September 2010
I must confess, I've never heard of Edwin Pace, nor do I know about his academic qualifications. However, it must be said that this book is beautifully crafted and well thought out. It' pays lots of attention to detail and contains useful appendices for those who want to check or quibble. The whole book is written and produced in a very professional way. Do not let any suggestions of amateurism put you off!

The author in writing his book has focussed on the primary documents relating to the 'Dark Ages'. Rather than labelling them as 'inadmissible' etc he clearly points that they are the best evidence we have for writing 'history' and we must try to use them. I think his attempt is very bold, provocative and successful. He elucidates his method, based on scientific principles for analysing the evidence and it's difficult to argue with it. Consequently, what we are presented with is a very plausible and revealing history of 5th century Britain. With regards to his theory that Arthur is merely another epithet, along with Vortigern, Riothemus etc to describe one 5th century ruler, it must be said that the argument is presented very well. Moreover, what is especially pleasing about this theory is that solves more problems than it creates, which can often be said of other theories. Personally, I think the author's argument really deserves serious consideration and I look forward to seeing how other 'academics' react.

Regardless of debate on the theory, what you are still left with is a narrative that is an absolute pleasure to read - I seriously can't remember the last history book I read, which was such a 'page-turner.' I really can't recommend this book highly enough. Buy and enjoy!
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?