on 6 August 2012
Having been using computers now for the best part of thirty years and probably every conceivable operating system there is, I have to say this is by far and away, the best machine and operating system I have ever used. I have been using Linux for home use for the best part of six to seven years, Linux Mint in particular, as M$ Windows in any disguise just does not cut it in terms of performance or reliability, which is why I switched. I didn't think anything would tempt me away from Linux but when Gnome released their new version it seemed quite buggy and not quite as user friendly and the Mint Team appeared to be having a problem making it work within their system so APPLE seemed like the only option open.

So, as my trusty old Lenovo laptop was dying anyway the time seemed right to migrate and I am so glad I did and went for a MAC. Yes, the machine was expensive but like everything in life, you get what you pay for. This machine is solid, both the hardware and the system. Built from an aluminium block there is nothing that creaks or squeaks on it no matter how you handle it. Everything from the magnetic lid, magnetic power lead, backlit keyboard to glossy screen is just pure craftsmanship. Once you start it up you get the comforting whirr of a motor starting up and the system appears in just a few seconds. Thats when the real fun starts. Yes the system is different, vastly different and anyone coming from Windows is going to find it very strange at first and will find it hard to get used to. But, after a few weeks using it, they will find out that everything is natural and has been designed to be much easier to use than Windows. Users coming from linux may not find it quite as hard as the core system is UNIX based and anyone used to using CLI will feel right at home. As an experienced PC user even I have to say I had my reservations and wondered if I had done the right thing at first but I needn't have worried because after two months of using it, I find it pure joy to work on. The system is so solid, no blue screens, no lags and no bugs. The Apps just work. I also made a point of using all Apple applications, from Safari to Mail, as everything is designed to work seamlessly together and using third party or open source would probably have a detrimental affect on it and would advise anyone to do the same. I have to say I would definitely not now go back to Windows and as much as I loved using Linux I ail probably would not go back to it either. Once you have experienced MAC you will wonder why on earth you wasted so much time and had so many frustrated hours on M$ windows.

All I can say is if you are seriously thinking about buying a MacBook Pro and you have the budget for it, then go for it, you will not regret it. No matter how strange it is at first, stick with it because once you get used to it, you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
What's this?