TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 March 2012
I have only just discovered Beverley Carter and she is a natural story teller. This novella places us in something of a moral maze. It asks us how we would react if given the chance to right a judicial wrong. The protagonist is given this opportunity and right to the very end we don't know if he will do it or bottle out. I don't want to give anything away but I'll say that the ending was a complete surprise but in the most satisfying of ways.
I often feel that the short story or novella is a difficult thing to get right. Either a thin story-line is stretched out too far or in order to complete the tale, the characters are insufficiently fleshed out. In both the novellas I have read by Beverley Carter, she has struck the balance and produced a finely crafted book. I look forward to reading more from her.
What's this?