1.0 out of 5 stars hammerite high heat flat black spray paint, 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Hammerite HHPBLAERO 400ml High Heat Paint Aerosol - Black (DIY & Tools)
Does not go as far as you think. The colour has no depth to it, even after 3 or 4 coats. Advertising suggests that no primer is needed but it definitely is. Peels off metal soon after it dries. I do not know what to use now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2012, 21:43:47 GMT
Roger says:
Well, I don't doubt what you say, but it wasn't my experience. True, the colour is not really black, more gunmetal grey, though it does seem darker inside than when I painted outside. But it does have good covering power, it hid a previous coat of jet black after the second spraying. And a week later, no sign of flaking.

I wonder, did you adhere strictly to the instructions, particularly the drying times, ie 30 mins after the first (primer) coat then only 5 mins between subsequent coats? I've noticed some Hammerite paints are particularly fussy about this, so maybe that's something to do with it?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2012, 16:49:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Nov 2012, 16:50:52 GMT
Muse says:
Your suggestions are valid.
The other thing is the surface to be coated: if it is gloss chromed or finely coated by moisture, oils, etc, it will cause problems for adhesion.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2012, 17:24:48 GMT
Roger says:
Thanks DV, I agree, in fact it was an aluminium surface I painted (as a 'filler' surround for a gas fire) and I was dubious about the 'no need for primer' claim - there are no real primers for some metals (eg aluminium, copper). I intended to use a specialist primer anyway but as time was pressing for installation I took a chance. Of course I cleaned and degreased the surface thoroughly and it seems to be holding up so far!

Roger

Posted on 21 Feb 2013, 03:08:45 GMT
SRXman says:
You may want to consider this paint (Granville cylinder black,available here & elsewhere) ,comes in 100ml or 250ml tins,goes on with a brush and being designed for motorbike engines and exhausts,should be durable. I've just painted my bike exhaust with it but can't say how long it will last. Will leave an update in future but can't say more than that really. I do recall lots of guys using black high heat (aerosol) paint on bike exhausts and it flaking off rapidly due to the chrome underneath being a poor surface for paint adhesion.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2014, 17:06:28 GMT
glo says:
Hello roger, sorry for the excessive delay in replying, I simply have too many children and too long a to do list. When you tick something off that list and it leads to more work like my project to paint an external woodburner flue with this hammerite paint it is really disheartening. I did stick to the coating times suggested but since my last post the flue has lost about 60% of the paint and looks awful. I will at some stage remove the remainder and will either leave it just the stainless steel or try another product. Any suggestions other than dismantling and getting it powder coated at great expense would be gratefully received.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2014, 18:03:25 GMT
Roger says:
Hi glo, no problem - we're all busy!

I don't know, I'm no expert - if the surface you're painting is shiny or smooth (stainless steel probably is) you could try roughening it up with coarse paper/emery cloth. Maybe try a specialist heat resistant primer first - but then this is supposed to be that.

I can't say I've had any problems but maybe mine doesn't get the heat intensive use yours does?

Good luck

Roger

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2014, 20:42:52 GMT
SRXman says:
Well I had to repaint the exhaust very soon after as the Granville Cylinder Black paint started flaking off just a few days after painting. Subsequent stripping with wire brush drill attachment and wet & dry paper then repainting hasn't lasted any longer so I have invested in a new stainless steel silencer. The Granville Cylinder black paint will continue to sit on the shelf & will probably be still there when I'm long gone.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›