on 27 October 2004
When I first read about Hellboy I was a little unsure about the concept, don't get me wrong, I have a particular fascination for movies based on comic characters - especially Marvell comic characters, though being honest I'd never even heard of Hellboy, and based on what I'd read about the character; a red being/creature with one big stone hand/fist and a red pointed tail who, as a child was transported from another dimension (or hell if you like) during a Nazi experiment and is then captured and raised by a secret CIA type organisation and trained to fight evil in return for sanctuary just sounded a little too much for me. However, when I discovered that Ron Perlman (Blade2, Alien Resurrection) had been cast for the part of Hellboy, I decided to give it a watch, and I'm glad I did, it's brilliant!
Ron Perlman is a fine actor, and is brilliant as Hellboy. His fantastic deep rich voice and dry sarcastic wit combined with his cool facial expressions just bring the character to life in a way I don't think anyone else could... Ron Perlman IS Hellboy; He was made for the part!
The story/plot is pretty much standard fair; an evil adversary (Rasputin!) is planning to open a portal to hell and bring civilisation as we know it to an end, and yep you guessed it, Hellboy has to stop him. However, this evil enemy is also not of this earth and has the power to summon all manner of mythical creatures etc to help him achieve his goal; consequently the film is awash with all manner of high quality special effects and CGI, which only adds to this films appeal.
Definitely recommended, I loved it, I'm sure you will too.
Hellboy 2 is already underway; I just hope it's as enjoyable as this.
0Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?