on 19 October 2012
I do like this book, the information it contains about drawing animals is very good. I thought it had very useful information about how to approach drawing animals, techniques etc. How shapes can be used to determine an outline for your drawing was explained well. I also enjoyed being talked through making the various drawings. However, it says it is a drawing book which it is, but I took that to mean that it would be concentrating on using pencil. It has a couple of exercises to go through which use pencil but the others use other media such as ink, or pastels. I found this to be running before I can walk and would have liked all the examples to be in pencil primarily, perhaps with suggestions for other options.

There are 10 animal drawings that are gone through with instructions. I found it odd that none of the animals chosen were particularly appealing of their species. I found the quality of drawings to be reasonable while some had more charm than others. After the chosen lesson, you are told how you might approach the same drawing in a different media but there is limited help to do so. There is then the same kind of animal but a different photo. I found most of the photographs for all sections a strange choice. Most of them were rather hazy and even out of focus and it is hard to delineate the outline of the animal from its surroundings. They are also quite dark in places. The photos in the alternative sections were by far the worst in this respect. I also have to say that kitten photos are not hard to find so why do we need to have a sickly looking little thing with watery eyes? The rabbit chosen is quite hard nosed to look at, so if you like you animals cute and fluffy this is not the best book.If the drawings were not there to work from, I would find the photos themselves intimidating and not user friendly.

I certainly don't feel I want to use the photos from this book but I will use the tutorials for the animals which ARE drawn in pencil and use the information given (which I found to be more useful than in many books), to draw animals from life or using different photos instead. Despite my grumpiness about the book, I found much that was helpful and useful to me which I hope to use in my own drawings which is why I have given it 4 stars rather than 3 (3.5 being nearer the mark).
What's this?