on 2 May 2012
Many years ago, I read "Dr Zhivago" - TWICE. I had to read it twice once to plough through all the Russian names and relationships, and then again to actually enjoy the story.

This book was a bit like that, on a smaller scale. The narrative style is ok, but definitely a bit 'rougher' than other writers, such as Richard Dawkins, and the 'plot' doesn't always flow very smoothly either, with the result that I was sometimes casting about trying to connect a conclusion with a preceding argument. Plus there were a few places where I felt he might have left the word 'not' out of a sentence, or where he seemed to leapfrog a point, leaving me re-reading several times to check what he was actually saying (I also felt there were some US idioms that momentarily stalled me several times).

And having put in an excellent quote from Darwin, later in the book he seemed to totally misconstrue what (I think) Darwin meant. Maybe unintentionally, maybe for effect.

I felt that his main aim was to register his bit about atheism v religion, though he was reasonably constrained. But even here I think he missed the point on a few occasions.

Still, a readable and enjoyable book (second time through, anyway!) with some humour, which covered the current state of cosmology fairly well as far as I could see, especially for anyone coming new to the discussion. But not awfully original.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.